Chapter Two: Deathbed (50ish years later)

My eyes start burning and tears drip from my face as I remember what my grandmother said when I was a kid, I miss her so very much.
"My love?"
I look up to see my wife sitting in the little hospital chair beside me. I smile at her softly and look around the room. I come to the conclusion that we are in a hospital room. And I am the patient. I look back to her and stare at her, confused, "Lola? Love?"
She smiles softly and tears pool up in her eyes, "Alexander, sweetheart, do you remember anything?"
I rack my brain trying to remember anything, but the last thing I remember is walking outside to get the newspaper. And that must have been forever ago because when I gaze to the window it's dark now. I look back at my wife and I slowly shake my head no.
A tear falls down her cheek and I gently wipe it away. She looks at me and sighs, "My love, Alexander, when you went to get the newspaper yesterday," my eyes widen and she must have noticed, "yes, love, yesterday, an intoxicated man drove his car and ran off the road and hit you...they did surgery on you and you've been asleep since. I thought you were in a coma but they, the doctors, said it was normal."
By this time she was crying hard so I pulled her into a hug and kiss her soft forehead, "I'm sorry, Lola, but I'm fine now, right?" She looked down and didn't answer so I asked again, "right? I'm fine.?"
Lola looks back up at me and kisses me softly, "Baby, they said that you have brain damage. They can't fix it. You're going to-" she sobs loudly and throws her arms around me.
My eyes start burning and tears fall down my face. "Lola, love, it's okay. I love you. I know you're not happy with me...leave. It's okay."
She looks up at me and kisses my cheek, "How did you know...?"
"You're sad, I can see it in your eyes. You don't want to be with me. You may still love me, but you can't be with a workaholic. Leave. You deserve happiness."
She looks at me, smiles sadly, and kisses my cheek, "I do love you, Alexander. I will miss you very much."
"Please, call the doctors in. I will tell them to get you off the call list. You can leave now. I love you, Lola."
She gets up and heads to the door and looks back, "I love you too, Alexander. I'll miss you.." She turns back and walks out and talks to one of the doctors.
"I'll miss you too, my first, only, and last love."