Medicine Cat Apprentice Ceremony

This ceremony is used whenever a cat (usually a kit or apprentice but on very rare occasions a warrior) decides that he/she is being called to follow the path of a medicine cat. The medicine cat must approve of this cat's wishes and then inform the Clan leader that he/she would like to take an apprentice. This ceremony consists of two parts: an announcement to the Clan by the medicine cat and apprentice naming ceremony by the Clan leader (or a warrior being named as a medicine cat apprentice), followed by a formal medicine cat apprentice ceremony at the next half-moon meeting of all medicine cats.

Apprentice naming ceremony:

The Clan's medicine cat announces at a Clan meeting that he/she has chosen an apprentice to train as the Clan's next medicine cat.

Clan Leader: "___kit has reached the age of six moons, and it is time for him/her to be apprenticed. ___kit, from this day on, until you receive your full name, you will be known as ___paw." Clan leader looks to the Clan's current medicine cat. "_(name of medicine cat)_, you are able to take on an apprentice. ___paw, do you accept the post of apprentice to _(name of medicine cat)_?"

Apprentice: "I do."

Medicine Cat: "Then at the half-moon, you must travel to the Moonstone/Moonpool/Whispering Cave to be accepted by StarClan before the other medicine cats."

Clan Leader: "The good wishes of all ___Clan go with you."

Current medicine cat steps forward to touch noses with his/her apprentice.

Clan: "___paw! ___paw! ___paw!"

Warrior to medicine cat apprentice ceremony:

The Clan's medicine cat announces at a Clan meeting that he/she has chosen an apprentice to train as the Clan's next medicine cat.

Clan leader looks to the Clan's current medicine cat.

Clan Leader: "_(name of medicine cat)_, you are able to take on an apprentice. _(name of warrior)_, do you accept the post of apprentice to _(name of medicine cat)_?"

Warrior: "I do."

Medicine Cat: "Then at the half-moon, you must travel to the Moonstone/Moonpool/Whispering Cave to be accepted by StarClan before the other medicine cats."

Clan Leader: "The good wishes of all ___Clan go with you."

Current medicine cat steps forward to touch noses with his/her apprentice.

Clan: "_____! _____! _____!"

Moonstone/Moonpool/Whispering Cave ceremony:

Medicine Cat: "Is it your wish to enter the mysteries of StarClan as a medicine cat?"

Apprentice: "It is."

Medicine Cat: "Then come forward."

Apprentice stands in front of his/her mentor before the Moonstone or Moonpool/in the Whispering Cave.

Medicine Cat: "Warriors of StarClan, I present you with this apprentice. He/She has chosen the path of a medicine cat. Grant him/her your wisdom and insight so that he/she may understand your ways and heal his/her Clan in accordance with your will."

All medicine cats and apprentices take their places to share tongues with StarClan.