chapter 1

"Jesus Mary, that was the scariest dream I've ever had!" I shout out to the darkened room. Without waiting for a reply I continue.

"I dreamt I was struck by lighting and when I got to heaven I was told I had an important job to do back down here and I had to keep someone alive but I don't know who or where or why and I think it's a sign I'm going to end up in hell."

I'm not getting any response from Mary, the girl I share a room with though and it's still dark outside so she shouldn't be up just yet.

"Mary, where are you?" I call. I'm shaking with fear and cold.

I hear a voice then someone knocks on the door.

"Mary" I call out.

"Can I come in?" a voice asks.

"Please do so" I answer. It must be one of the others that works here.

A pretty girl opens the door and flicks the light on. I look around me and see nothing familiar. I start shaking even more and look at this girl with fear in my heart.

"Where am I and what happened?" I hear myself whispering to her.

"We found you outside, unconscious a few hours ago. Your clothes were soaked through, even though it hasn't rained today and we thought we'd better bring you in before you got ill."

"Who's we?" I ask.

"I'm Danielle and I live here with my boyfriend Vic."

"Where's here?" I ask.

"San Diego"

I sigh with relief. That's where I've been living since I moved here. At least I'm in the right city.

"How long have I been asleep?" I asked, not sure what Danielle meant by a few hours.

"About 3 hours" she told me.

"They're going to kill me" I shout, jumping out of the bed and feeling a searing pain in my feet. I collapse on the floor and realise

A - I'm not wearing my clothes

B - My feet are unable to take my weight at this moment.

I look up at Danielle and tears fill my eyes.

"What happened to my feet?" I cry.

"When Vic carried you in, your boots were hanging off your feet so we took them off and it looks as if you're feet are burned. I've cleaned them up and dressed them but that's all I know for certain. Do you remember anything?"

I am too busy blacking out to answer.