chapter 17

I run over to him, pushing the man out of the way. He grabs something from the guy behind the counter and runs.

"I've rung for help" the man who works there shouts. I fall on my knees next to Tony and see the look of shock on his perfect face. There is so much blood. It's everywhere - on his shirt, the floor.  I grab his hand willing the pain away, but nothing. I don't feel the tiredness. I look into his eyes and see the pain and fear there and I know I must do something more. I lift his t-shirt and place my hand over the hole in his stomach. Then I kiss him. I kiss him as hard as I can. Now I feel something. I keep my lips on his for as long as I can before I start feeling dizzy. I feel something in my hand. It's a shiny metal bullet. The hole in his stomach has healed. Like it was never really there. I kiss him once more and keel over.

I hear voices all around me. My eyes are open but I can't see. I'm breathing but only just. I hear Danielle crying. When did she get here? I feel her take my hand.

"You're still here. Hang on darling" I hear her say. I try to squeeze her hand but I can't do it. I hear Tony. He sounds hysterical. He's screaming and crying.

"Annie, don't leave me. Please. I can't do this without you. Since I met you, I've felt so much peace in my life. I can't lose you now." Then he kisses me. It feels as wonderful as I hoped. If only I wasn't dying.

My breathing is becoming more laboured. I feel weaker than ever before. I don't think I can hang on much longer.

"I love you" I hear Tony say. He sounds so far away. His lips touch mine again and all of a sudden my lungs fill back up with air. My breathing feels a bit more normal.  Am I coming back to him? To all of them? I squeeze the hand I feel in my own. I hear Danielle gasp.

"Kiss her again Tony" she screams. Her voice sounds clearer. I feel his breath on my face as his lips move towards my own. I feel another rush of air in my lungs and my eyes shoot open. I look up into Tony's beautiful big brown eyes and see love. I reach my hand up to his face and gently touch his cheek. He's still shaking so I try to sit up - to take him in my arms and take away his pain. His fear. I'm still incredibly weak but I know he's going to be ok. That I am too.

The bullet falls out of my hand and rolls across the floor. Vic picks it up, looking puzzled. He looks questioningly at Tony who is still covered in blood. He lifts Tony's shirt and Tony touches his stomach where there is a fresh, tender looking scar. No bullet hole. Not now.

"She somehow drew it out" Tony whispers. I look at him and whisper

"magic" before blanking out.