Prologue

In the Pokémon World, located in the Kalos Region...
A dark, shadowy substance floated in the air through the forest. Blood red eyes glowed from within the shadowy orb, with the tension of evil inside of them. The orb of darkness then materialized into the shape of an animal—a Pokémon, but not just any kind of Pokémon; a Shadow Pokémon. Better known as the Dark One.

"I'm back!" He growled in a dark tone. "The mighty Faith the Eevee and her army may have defeated me, but I'll always come back! This time to finish what I have started! Eeveeville must belong to me!!!"

A small black crow Pokémon flew towards the Shadow Eeveelution. "The Master of Darkness has returned!" The dark type bird chirped.

"Indeed I have Karasu! Long time no see!" The Dark One greeted the Murkrow. "This time I will not fail!! I will have my revenge!! Faith the Eevee must die!!"

Somewhere in the Mario Universe:
A white ghostly creature was slamming his round body against the glass container he was trapped inside. "This stupid container can't keep me trapped inside forever. There's no way it's strong enough to keep the King of illusions trapped inside..." he thought to himself.

A slim purple elderly woman with blue, beehive-shaped hair, yellow eyes, and a white and blue dress that hid her ghostly tail stood watching him in the glass case next to him with her purple cat—named Polterkitty— running around the glass prison. "What are you trying to do King Boo?" She asked.

"What do you think I'm doing?! I'm trying to escape!" King Boo growled, slamming his body against the case again, creating a small crack. "Ah hah! At last progress! Now, shut up Hellen Gravely and let me concentrate! I have to get out of here! That nuisance, Luigi, will pay for everything that he has done!"

One more slam against the cracked glass and it shattered into many tiny pieces. "Finally!!"

"W-wait K-King Boo, please don't leave me here! I-I can help you! Please just give me another chance! I won't fail you again!" Hellen Gravely begged.

"Sorry, no can do, Hellen. I gave you a chance and you blew it. I'm not making that same mistake again."

"Please..." she begged again, only to be ignored by King Boo, who was working on freeing his boo comrades from their prisons.

King Boo sighed. "How many times do I have to tell you?! I don't need your help! You're useless to me!!" He growled in annoyance.

Once he finished freeing the boos, he started to break free the other ghosts and Hellen.

"But if you don't want me working for you, then why are you freeing me?" She asked.

"Because I'm not a monster. I'm not going to have any ghost stay with that old coot.  Now go somewhere else and stay out of my way." King Boo answered. "And as for my boos, let's go search for a new, big powerful crown jewel."

"Of course, your majesty. We'll make sure it's the best crown jewel we can find." One of the boos replied.

"Good." King Boo grinned, evilly. "Now, let's get to it. The sooner we find one, the sooner I can destroy Luigi and his pathetic friends."

In the Mushroom Kingdom:
Mario and Luigi were on their way to Peach's castle. Earlier that day, Luigi received a letter from the Princess that they would be celebrating how he saved the Princess herself, a few of her royal Toadstool subjects and Mario from being trapped in paintings by King Boo. Luigi was finally getting the attention he always wanted—being a hero just like his brother. He was a little nervous but he was also excited at the same time.

"Come on, Luigi. Pick up the pace!" Mario said to him. He was up ahead a distance away from Luigi as per usual.

"Come on, Mario... You know I didn't have that much sleep last night... I kept having nightmares of King Boo returning... W-What if-" Mario interrupted him.

"Don't worry about that, bro. He's been taken care of. You also caught Hellen too. I'm sure he won't be able to escape again."

"But he escaped far too many times already... And this time... I don't know what he's planning to do now. At this point, he probably plans to kill me instead of trapping me in a painting. Who knows what he might do to me if he gets the chance... I'm just scared..." Luigi sighed.

Mario stopped and sighed in response before facing his brother. "To be honest, I am too. I've already felt the agony of being trapped in a painting three times now and I don't want it to happen again. I don't want my little brother's life to be in danger either."

"But.. if it does happen again, I'll never give up on you, Mario. No matter what happens..."

Mario frowned and put a hand on Luigi's shoulder. "I would rather have you stay safe, Luigi. I never wish for you to be harmed in any way. I don't want to lose you... It hurts me more than being trapped in a painting to see you get hurt. We'll always be there for each other and we'll always protect each other."

Luigi smiled and nodded in agreement. Luigi put a hand on Mario's arm. "I know, bro. I'd rather not talk about it anymore. I should just let it go for now. Let's just not think about it. We should just go."

Mario nodded and smiled back at his little brother. They both continued on their way to Peach's castle.

Mario Universe: In a Cave far away from the Mushroom Kingdom

"Sire! Boolivia and I think we found the largest purple gem in the cave. It looks perfect!" One boo said.

"Bring it here, Boones!" King Boo ordered.

Boolivia and Boones carried the large purple gem to their ruler. They smiled when they saw King Boo grin in pleasure. "Perfect! Now to put my plan into action!"