Chapter 1 - Easton King

It's Sunday evening, and I'm at the coffee shop with my friends Melissa, Candy, and my boyfriend, Russ. I wasn't in the mood to hang out tonight, but Russ begged me to come. Russ and I have been dating for two weeks now, and he's my first boyfriend. Russ isn't normally a guy I'd fall for, but he begged for my attention for weeks until I caved and said yes to go on a date with him. To be honest, I didn't feel any sparks between us like I've read about in romance books. But he was a good kisser and was actually kind of funny, so I kept seeing him.

"Isabelle?"

I snapped out of my thoughts at the sound of my name. 

 "You're coming to my party tonight, right?" Russ asked.

"Oh, right... the party."

I had completely forgotten about it.

"Yeah, I'm definitely coming. But I'm having dinner with my Dad tonight, he said he had something to talk to me about so I might be late." 

"Hah! Someone is in trouble" Melissa says and leers wolfishly at me. "You know I'm going to be there," she continued with a wink at my boyfriend.

If she thought she was oblivious to her flirting, she was wrong. Candy noticed it too and rolled her eyes.

"Be right back, I gotta take a dump." Russ gives me a kiss on the cheek and then disappears. When I turn to my friends I see Melissa eying me.

"What?" I say 

"Belle, I know Russ is super hot but he has no class whatsoever. Are you sure you want to be with a guy like that?"

I was caught off by her blunt question and I didn't know how to reply. Luckily, Candy stepped in and answered for me.

"Back off, Melissa! That's none of your business."

Melissa scoffed and looked shocked before a little laugh was forced out. "Chill, I was only asking. No need to get so upset about it. I care about Belle, that's why I'm asking."

"Do you?" I challenged. Because lately, it hasn't seemed like it.

"Of course, duh." She answered while flipping her hair back.

Candy shifted closer to me and whispered: "Keep an eye out on her." Like I didn't already know.

"So, Belle, I heard that you'd be parents free for a month," Melissa said, trying to change the conversation.

My dad was leaving on a business trip early tomorrow, and he'd be gone for a whole month. I had just told a few people, but somehow the word had spread around the school like wildfire, and everyone was hoping that I'd throw a party.

"You're gonna throw a party, right?" Melissa asked with hope in her eyes. I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"I don't think so."

"Oh come on, don't be a prude!"

Candy faces Melissa, and I know she's ready to defend me. "If she doesn't want to have a party, she doesn't have to."

"Party pooper," Melissa mutters under her breath.

I had enough socializing for one day. I checked my watch and saw that it was already 4 pm. Dad would have made dinner soon.

"I should get home. My phone died, and I don't want my dad to worry."

"I get you; I'll see you later tonight?" Candy asked.

"Of course! Bye guys."

I started walking towards the exit and bumped straight into Russ. 

"Where are you going, baby girl?" Russ asked as he slung his arm around my shoulder. "Were you gonna leave without giving me a kiss goodbye?"