6. home of sorts

everyone was being taken off the helicopter

everyone was being taken off the helicopter. minho and eleanor had to wake up thomas from his sleep and he got off as well.

thomas ran back onto the helicopter and picked up something. afterwards everyone was running towards a tall building while the guys from the helicopter shot at something.

the doors of the building locked behind everyone and they looked around and saw it looked like a work room.

after waiting awhile, everyone sat down. eleanor was sitting alone until thomas sat beside her and passed her chucks toy.

eleanor looked back down at it and she looked back up at thomas.

"you must've dropped it when you fell asleep." thomas told her.

"you went back for it." eleanor said as her and thomas locked eyes.

"i knew you would want to keep it." thomas said as eleanor cupped his cheek with her free hand and kissed him.

"thank you." eleanor said softly.

"you know what happened wasn't your fault right?" thomas asked her as she looked down at the floor.

"i'm just tired of losing people. i can't handle losing anyone else." eleanor said as thomas lifted her chin up.

"you're not gonna lose me." thomas whispered to her before he pulled her into a kiss.

they both pulled away and eleanor felt herself smile at him.

before eleanor could even think to say something else, they heard another door open making everyone get up.

"you kids doing alright? sorry about all the fuss. we have ourselves a bit of a swarm." a guy told them.

"who are you?" thomas asked him.

"i'm the reason you're all still alive. it's in my intention to keep you that way. now, come with me. we'll get you kids squared away." the guys said as they followed behind him.

"you can call me mr. janson. i run this place. for us, it is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. you all should think of it as a way station. kind of a home between homes. watch yourselves." janson said as they walked past some guys working.

"and then you're taking us home?" thomas asked.

"a home of sorts. sadly there wouldn't be much left of wherever you came from. but we do have a place for you, a refuge, outside the scorch, where wckd will never find you again. how does that sound?" janson said.

"why are you helping us?" minho asked.

"let's just say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation. and we're all hanging on by a very thin thread. the fact that you kids can survive the flare virus makes you the best chance of humanity's continue survival. unfortunately, it also makes you a target. there's no doubt by now you've noticed. beyond this door, lies the beginning of your new lives." janson said opening another door with his keycard.