Chapter 43: Broken

The next morning came way too soon for Mina. She tried to thrust her paw over her eyes and ears and turn away from the door of her kennel, but the promise of fresh water was too much for her to give up. Her throat was screaming for something to drink and the only way that she could get anything was from someone filling up her bowl.

    She was a little relieved when she saw it was the women from the day before. "Hey, Lady. How are you doing this morning," she cooed as she poured some water into Mina's bowl and kneeled down beside Mina. She stroked Mina's spine and then her shoulders. "You're such a good girl, aren't you? I hope that we can find out what's happening to you, huh?"

    There was a sudden sharp voice as the man appeared from the shelter. Mina recognized him as the one that had jabbed her and she couldn't help but allow a growl to roll in the back of her throat. The women looked up and pointed over to the man. "Hey, stay back. Just give her some space. She's just a little fearful of things right now."

    The man said something in a clipped tone that Mina knew that she wouldn't like. The women stood up after that and walked over to him while closing Mina's door. The two started to speak in hushed tones against one another and Mina tried desperately to make it out and still couldn't. She grumbled to herself as she kinked her tail over her back and seemed to wait patiently for the women to head back into the kennel and slip the lead over her neck.

    She was started to be led forward with the women and man walking side by side. "What's so urgent with this one," the women asked.

    Mina strained her ears and tried to train herself on the man and slowly began to understand his words. "Her blood work came back and it's extraordinary. You've got to see this!"

    Mina could taste the excitement in the air, but she wasn't quite sure why. She thought that having the Foaming Disease would be what they wouldn't want. To her knowledge that was all that would be different about her blood work. Although, she was sure that she would find out soon.

    They made their way to the table that Mina had been the day before. The women scooped her up and set her on the table before tying the lead to the pole. The women then turned and faced the man. "So what's so incredible about her blood work."

    The man thrust a folder into her hand and she opened it slowly before raising an eyebrow. "You mean the fact that she has systematic rabies?"

    "She should be dead by now, but she isn't. She's fine give or take," he pointed out.

    "Mr. Drake, I beg to differ.  We have no idea how long that this has been going on. I think that it would be best to-"

    "And look at this," Mr. Drake interrupted as he pointed to another line in the folder furiously. "Her blood type and other levels. There's something special about this one, I can tell. We will also be able to see if the Symbiote can cure her, Dora."

    Dora gave her head a firm shake. "I really don't think that this is a good idea. I think that we should quarantine her first and move on with healthier specimens, don't you think?" Her voice was slightly shaky in fear.

    Mr. Drake lifted his hand and pressed them against his eyes. "Fine, fine. How about you throw that one eyed cat in there and see how he fares with them," he suggested curtly as he walked out of the lab without another word.

    Panic rose inside of Mina as she realized who that had to be. There was only one eyed cats that she knew of. "No! Limber!"

    The women spun around and looked at Mina before she came over to her in an effort to try and calm her down. "Hey, it's okay. There's no need to get worked up. You're alright."

    Mina tried not to let her words soothe her, but the exhaustion that plagued her so often seemed to crash over her and she sat down, panting heavily. The women leaned forward and quickly placed one some gloves before she checked Mina's pulse. "I'm not sure what he has planned for you, but I'm not going to let anything bad happen, alright?"

    Mina wanted to believe her, but she just couldn't. Not when she had the idea that Limber might be in serious danger. She felt her stomach churn and she tried to compose herself just as the door swung open and another human walked in with Limber in his hands.

    "Limber," Mina started in alarm.

    Limber struggled to stretch out his paw toward Mina. "Mina, what's going on? What's happening," he panicked with his one eye widening so much that the whites of his eye was seen. The hollow divot in his skull seemed that much more pronounced.

    "I don't know, Limber, but we're going to get through this, I promise," Mina vowed. Her own voice shook and she struggled to clam herself down. "Just don't worry, okay?"

    Limber was forced to sit down and the women reluctantly walked around him and gave him the rundown rather quickly before she scooped Limber up and stroked him as she headed toward the door. Limber looked more than shocked with a petrified look on his face.

    "Mina," he managed to croak.

    "Everything is going to be okay," Mina called as Limber was taken out of the lab. "I promise! Everything is going to be okay!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    The women carried Limber into the same room that Mina and him had snuck in the night prior. They headed to that glass area and the women set him into a strange box thing. He landed with a thud and tried to leap back out, but the top promptly closed and he was left in the small space that was almost half the size of a crate. He started to pace around for a while until he felt like he was going to go stir crazy.

    Just when he was about to loose his mind, one of the sides of the box seemed to open. He was about to step out when  the goo that they had seen moving around the night before seemed to pulse toward him. He lowered his head into his shoulders as he pressed against the other side of the box and let out a low hiss with his back arching. His eyes narrowed to slits as he tried to think about how to defend himself against something like that.

    The creature in front of him seemed to ooze forward like blood and Limber tilted his head curiously. Just as he inclined his head forward as his curiosity got the best of him, the creature seemed to grab him and absorb into his body. He spun around in alarm, panting heavily.

    "W-What's hap-happening," he stammered as he blinked his remaining eye in alarm. A growl rolled in his throat as he felt sickness and exhaustion start to rush over him.

    He suddenly pitched forward and vomited harshly on the ground. He promptly collapsed against the ground with his ears shoved forward as a wail seemed to echo through him. His body contorted in a way that he didn't believe possible and he felt his entire body seem to snap and break in so many painful and unnatural places.

    "Hope!"

    Limber's body gave one final breath before the creature broke his neck and he went completely limp. The creature fused out from his body and retreated back into it's container while Limber laid broken and dead in it's wake.