footprints in the snow

Clove hated the cold.

Especially since she grew up in sunny La Jolla, California. Weekends spent surfing at Windansea Beach and sitting in the corner booth at Harry's Coffee Shop with her closest friend, Glimmer. She'd been too cold places before like the Ukiah mountains up north or Madison, Wisconsin to visit her dad. But those places weren't during the Holidays; they were quick weekend trips during winter break before Christmas. So, when Clove's mother, Eve, told her that they were going to Canada this year to celebrate the Holidays with her boyfriend's family, she was less than pleased with the idea.

Clove stared down at her suitcase and sighed. She'd overpacked, of course, but Neil said they were to pack whatever they needed. So, Clove packed almost her entire closet; boots, sweaters of all different colors, jeans, leggings, and sweatpants. Occasionally there was a nice outfit thrown in there in case her mother decided going out for dinner was their best solution. Neil, her moms' boyfriend, also let them know that they would be staying at a rental home with four bedrooms, three bathrooms, and one very large kitchen. Which of course, was meant for her cookaholic mother.

Clove's sister, Ivy, was flying into Vancouver separately after visiting their father. Clove had planned on visiting him later in January after finals with her, but Ivy dropped the news that she'd be too busy with her project in France and that December was the only time she could travel. It only disappointed her a little; Clove was used to traveling alone.

"Sweetie?" There was a knock on her door, then it cracked open. Her mother's head peeking around the corner, "You all set?"

"Yeah."

"Make sure you have your passport, wallet, phone chargers, books you want to read on the plane, lap-"

"Mom," Clove interrupted, "I got it."

Eve smiled, "I'm just making sure. I'd hate to have you forget something."

"I'll be downstairs in a minute."

Clove was a Senior in High School this year, so bringing her book bag filled with homework was an obligation. The black Jansport bag slung over her shoulder as she grabbed both her suitcase and duffle bag. Clove let out a low grunt by the weight and trudged downstairs. Neil caught sight of the girl and chuckled, grabbing her duffle bag and carrying it out to the car. Clove shoved her suitcase into the trunk and blew some hairs out of her face before turning around to look back at their house. Clove didn't want to leave. She wanted to visit the San Diego Bay with Glimmer to see the Light Event or have lunch at Balboa Park under the sun. She wanted to celebrate Christmas at home, in front of a warm fireplace sipping wine with her mother as they watched another rerun of A Christmas Story. But instead, she was crawling into the back seat of her mom's Range Rover, getting ready to fly out to Canada.

_______________________

Airports are like zoos, but for humans. At least that's what Clove thought as she quickly followed behind her mom and Neil.

"Are you sure we're going the right way?" Eve asked, looking around frantically.

"Positive."

"What time is take off?"

"Uh," Neil looked at his ticket, "four."

Clove glanced at her phone. It was only three sixteen. She had one earbud in playing some random playlist Glimmer had created for her flight, the other one was tucked around her ear.

"Ah!" Neil stopped suddenly, "Here we are!"

There weren't a lot of people at the gate, Clove noticed. A family with younger kids huddled together in a blanket, two younger men with laptops up and headphones in, both wearing Canada hockey team jerseys and then a couple of randomly scattered people here and there.