We Love Grilled Turkey

“Peyton,” I said, using the stern voice I normally reserved for babysitting. “Give the purse back to Aspen.”

She didn’t even look up as she pulled out a wallet from the bag. “Calm down, Maddie. You’re supposed to be the fun one.” Peyton took out a buttload of credit cards and grinned. “I have a feeling that we won’t have any more trouble with money.”

Seth crossed his arms. “You can’t take it.”

“Oh yeah? And who’s going to stop me?” Peyton’s lips curved upward in mischievous smirk. “cast this dare for you guys. I think it’d be in your best interest not to tick me off.”

My fists clenched. “You’re really starting to act like a-“ I stopped short when Peyton leaned close in a whisper.

“I love you, Maddie, but stay out of my way.” Then she backed up, each step a little bit bitchier than the one before. “You guys should enjoy this party. I know I will.” And with that, she sauntered down the spiral staircase.

What an asshole.

“I was thinking the same thing.” Seth muttered, and I realized I’d said it out loud. It was just the two of us now, and I felt a little uncomfortable. Aspen had returned from her “bathroom” break, and she eyed us-well, mostly Seth- and I sighed.

I brought my attention back to Seth, and I watched as he popped a piece of popcorn from the food table behind us into his mouth. I didn’t understand what was so special about him. He was attractive, yeah, but he was also a jerk.

My eyebrows furrowed together. “What do you think of Joe and Aspen?” I asked, casually taking another sip of my drink.

He shrugged. “Joe’s cool I guess. He didn’t talk much.”

“And Aspen?”

Seth glanced over in her direction before he answered. “She’s cool too.”

“Do you have any other adjectives to use besides cool?” I scoffed, taking a couple baby steps away from my ‘fake boyfriend’.

“I feel like you’re looking for reasons to pick a fight with me.”

He wasn’t wrong.

I was hoping that if I annoyed him enough he would back out of the dare. I had a

shitload of insults prepared tonight, but I held my tongue. “No I’m not.”

Seth crossed his arms. “Seriously Maddie, what’s up your butt?”

“Why don’t I just spare you the trouble of hanging out with me for the rest of the night? Go.” I gave him a push that didn’t move him even an inch. Sigh. “Go and hang out with whoever you want to.”

“Really?”

I forced a smile. “Really. Now shoo!”  I swatted him. “Go party.” When he didn’t move, I frowned. Was he not getting the hint that I wanted to be anywhere but near him?