chapter II

chapter II

latrunculus venatus

or

the fool's journey

---

It was a nice suit. Not in character, exactly - although it could be said character has a lot to do with the clothes you wear. In this case it was a suit and hat, nothing else - there was no character to expand on, I guess. The hat was okay too.

If I said the suit was nice that's suggesting what it did was nice, but I really meant its appearance. The suit's suit. The suit's demeanour. The suit as cloth, not as man. 

I guessed he was a man from his smooth baritone voice. It was oddly hypnotic - this was odd because I had always had the misconception that hypnosis could only be achieved by looking at some weird symbol thing, you know, that it had to be visual. 

But this suit's voice was just that good. It was like an invisible radio on a spoken-word soul music station was addressing me directly.

"You look a little lost, new boy. You are new, aren't you?"

"I think so. I don't really know anything at all."

"You did look kind of dumb."

"I meant about where I am. I know some things."

"Oh yeah? Who are you?"

I couldn't answer that. The suit's hat bobbed slightly in a way that I assume was a nod.

"None of the new people know who they are. They all end up in the same place at first. Freaks them out. Most of them are a lot more panicky than you are."

"I'm not really the type to panic. More of a 'this is all vaguely unsettling' sorta person".

"Good. That'll help you survive."

The suit started walking. Well, hovering slightly over air making walking motions. To me that's good enough. I started following him - it's not like I could think of any other good plan. This suit seemed to know what he was doing.

"So, uh, can you tell me what's going on?" I asked.

"I can."

"Do it then."

"What's going on."

I sighed. "Can you tell me why I'm here?"

"I can."

"Do it then."

"Why I'm here."

I sighed. "Can you tell me who you are?"

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"I'm bored."

"That's no excuse."

"And also I have no idea who I am, either." The suit admitted.

"Oh." I said.

 That's what I thought too, except abbrieviated slightly. I actually thought "Oh shit."

"Oh shit." I said shortly after realising my thoughts were not being accurately conveyed by speech.

"I know." The suit said sadly.