19 - A Slip of Tounge

Of all the places Sahir thought Maya would run to, the lake was definitely not one of them. He followed behind her when she left, making sure she didnt notice. The state that she left the place in compelled him to invade her personal space and poke his nose for her safety. He knew she needed time alone but at the same time, he couldnt help thinking how things could take a drastic turn. Hence here he was, keeping an eye on her from a good distance as she sat alone on the bench across the lake.

Maya sat there silently staring at the calm empty lake, without any emotion visible on her face. The rustling of the wind was the only sound around while the moonlight was the only thing illuminating the place. Tears dribbled down her cheeks unwillingly in the midst of it all.

Sahir clenched his fists tightly when he noticed her tears. He tried hard to not go and run to her. Minutes passed like that, him observing her and her just sitting there motionless. A little while later he decided to just go and talk to her, unable to hold himself anymore. He slowly walked up to her and when he noticed she didnt move or budge, he slowly descended to sit. Maya felt his presence but didnt say anything or even look at him. She just stayed still, dejected and lifeless.

"Pata hai," Maya spoke suddenly surprising Sahir. Shaking off his surprise he remained silent so that she could speak. "Zoya jab bhi kisise naraz hoti hai na woh yaha ati hai. Mujhe abhi bhi yaad hai ek baar jab," she let out a small laugh, "jab uski Aditya se koi choti moti baat ko lekar jhagda hui thi, woh yaha aakar pagal ki tarha ro rahi thi." She smiled through her tears looking at the lake and reminiscing the memory.

Maya searched the house frantically trying to find Zoya, her heart beat picking up as each second passed. When she concluded Zoya was not home at all, she knew where she might have gone.

Rushing to the lake, she saw Zoya sitting on the bench and crying like a little kid while sniffing at times. She walked upto her and sat beside her. "Zoya, kya hua, ro kyu rahi ho??!!!" Maya asked, anger building up at the thought that someone made her sister cry. Zoya looked up at her and hugged her. "Kyu na roye? Aditya aise kyu karte hai," she sniffed, "kanjoos kahike. Nai baat karni hai humko unse." she pouted angrily.

Maya was more than confused at this point but concluded it was definitely something silly. She mentally facepalmed. "Zoya, hua kya bataogi?" Zoya looked at her and sniffed. "Nahi. Hume unke bade me baat hi nahi karni! Pagal insaan!" Just then her phone rang up displaying Aditya's name. Her eyebrows furrowed automatically, while Maya gestured her to pick up the call, she did as told and put him on speaker.

"Zoyaaaaaaaaa your majesty IM SORRY yaaaaar aur kitna bar bolna padhega! mai next time nahi bhulunga, next time kya kabhi nahi bhulungaa pinky promise!" Aditya pleaded. Maya could sense the tiredness in his voice, probably from constantly apologising to Zoya. She chuckled a bit. Zoya huffed. "Bhad me jai ap aur apki sorry! Har bar yahi karte hai ap." Zoya then cut the call and sat there with her arms crossed and an angry pout.

A small smile formed on Maya's lips at the cuteness of her sister. Who would say they are twins! She understood it was useless to ask what really happened hence rubbed Zoya's back to console her while saying, "accha baba chalo ghar chalte hai." Zoya nodded at her and wiped her tears.

~

"Mujhe abhi bhi nahi pata kya hua tha." Maya laughed making Sahir smile too. She then remembered Yash and how he completely changed her views about Zoya dating someone.

"Ek aisa ladka bhi aya tha uski zindagi mein," she clenched her hands into fists remembering the tough time he put Zoya through, "jiske dhoke ke baad Zoya aksar yaha aya karti thi. Us din se maine decide kiya tha ki kabhi bhi kisiko usko hurt nahi karne dungi, chahe kuch bhi ho jaye. Zoya is too innocent." She smiled gratefully for the cute sister she was blessed with. Suddenly, her smile dropped and she looked at Sahir with a frown.