2- The Unexpected Turn

"Nahi .. nahi ho sakta! Hum faltu mein itna soch rahe hain!" Zoya couldnt stop thinking about Maya's smile on her way back to her room. "Maya Aditya ko sirf dost manti hai! Wo .. wo muskurahaat kisi aur ke liye hoga... nahi.. a-aur Aditya toh Maya ko pyaar bhi nahi karta hain haha...... hah...." she tried to convince her raging heart.

Upon entering her room, she paced here and there, her mind whispering something and her heart whispering something else. Closing her eyes out of frustration, she scampered to the bed and put the blanket over head.

•••

"Whats wrong with me?" Maya was unable to decipher the emotions running through her, she stopped smiling and suddenly remembered about Zoya. "Oh God, abhi bhi naraz hai kya? I need to check up on her." She went to Zoya's room. Zoya seemed to be asleep, but Maya knew her well.

Maya cleared her throat to aware Zoya of her presence. Zoya removed the blanket to look up at her. "Maya?"

Just when she thought she finally forgot the incident and could sleep, Maya's face reminded her about it again. She closed her eyes tightly and opened them again, a feeling of anxiousness taking over. Maya came and sat beside her on the bed. "gussa ho?"

Zoya nodded negatively. Maya held her hand, "Zoyaaa, you know me, mai toh piche... normally baiththi nahi hoon... Im really sorry aaj ke liye, im sorry i-" Zoya interrupted her rant. "Its-its okay, tum janti ho mai itni choti baat par khafa nahi hoti hoon." Zoya lied.

Maya stayed silent for a while before speaking again. "tumko sach me lagta hai mai tumhari jhoot nahi pakrungi? Zoya, tumhare ilawa meri zindagi me aur koi nahi hai, aur mai tumhari khushi ke liye kisi bhi hadh tak ja sakti hoon tumhe ye pata hai, please itni choti baat par gussa na karo."

Maya's words pinched like a thorn in Zoya's chest. Zoya suddenly felt extreme guilt creeping in, how could she think negatively of the sister who cared so much for her? Overridden with emotions, Zoya hugged Maya tightly.

"Im sorry Maya, im really sorry mujhe aisa nahi sochna chahiye tha pata nahi-"

"kya sochna nahi chahiye tha?" Maya interrupted her, confused at what she was on about. Zoya shut her mouth immediately as Maya's words brought back her senses. She slowly pulled away from the hug. "umm.. kuch nahi, bas mere saath rehna." She faked a smile so as to make Maya forget and it worked.

"hum humesha saath rehenge sisterrr!" Maya smiled.
"humesha." Zoya smiled too.

"Good night." Maya kissed her forehead.
"goodnight."

With that, Maya left. Zoya let out a sigh of relief, the anxious feeling that she had before finally faded away after the little talk with Maya.

Zoya was now left alone with her own thoughts. The reason she couldnt share the Aditya issue with Maya was because of Maya's extreme concern and overprotectiveness towards her. She knew Maya never really let anyone get too close to her, Aditya somehow became an exception. She felt like Maya would kick Aditya out of her life too if she shared the fact that she had feelings for him. They were twins, yet Maya always acted like the bigger sister. She had a bitter opinion about love, and this opinion could only be changed by love itself.

"Aur woh kabhi nahi hoga...Maya ko pyaar kabhi nahi ho sakta..." Zoya murmured. With a heavy sigh, she drifted off to sleep.

•••

It was morning, the chirping birds woke Zoya up from her sleep. She woke up, got fresh, the usual morning routine, and went to the kitchen. Maya also woke up and as usual was getting ready for work. It was a holiday for Zoya. She constantly looked at the door. Hours went by, eventually it was time for Maya to leave. "Bye sisterr! Apna khayal rakhna aur haan, Aditya ke ilawa kisi ko bhi andhar ane nahi dena!" Maya hugged Zoya and left. Time passed by and Zoya got more and more restless. "Abhi tak nahi aya Aditya.." just then her phone rang up.