Nine

^^^I'm so happy for JYP. I hope he makes a good father and treats his child well^^^

Maya was surprised to see Seungmin in her living room when she had finished getting ready a couple of days later.

"What are you doing here? It's Saturday," she stated.

He simply chuckled in response.

"You think I don't know that? I'm here because I want to take you somewhere."

Maya cocked an eyebrow, folded her arms, and leaned on her right leg.

"Where?"

He beamed, possibly the cutest sight she had ever seen.

"That's a surprise."

The girl tilted her head to the side and squinted at the boy.

"Fine but it better be worth it. I had plans to eat, sleep and watch 'Titanic' today."

"It'll definitely top all of those."

"Then what are we waiting for?"

With that, he approached her and placed a blindfold over her eyes.

"What's this for?" She gestured to the material covering her eyes

"So that you don't guess the surprise before I show you it."

"Is it necessary?" Maya asked as he began to guide her out of the house and into his car.

"Of course! Just stay put, don't ask any questions and we'll be there in no time at all."

***

The car came to a stop and Maya's heart began to pound really fast. She loved surprises but couldn't stand them at the same time. When Seungmin removed her blindfold she immediately scrunched up her nose in confusion.

"Why are we here?" She asked as she stared at the building ahead of her. She didn't like the thought of it. There were butterflies in her stomach and she felt a lump in her throat.

"Sometime in the wee hours of the morning, Liv woke up."

Maya was thrilled at the sound of that but there was still a frown on the detective's face.

"What is it?"

To be frank, Seungmin regretted bringing her here, he never wanted to do it. He just had to follow orders. He had seen Liv earlier on and thought the sight was sickening. She was thin, pale and had huge bags under her eyes. It was almost like he was looking at someone else. In fact, when he was first taken to her, he thought the nurses guided him to the wrong patient. However, what scarred him was the girl's eyes. They were dull and appeared lifeless, as though her soul, her passion and identity left in her slumber.

"Are you sure you want to go in?"

"Are you honestly asking me that? She's my best friend! Obviously, I want to see her."

He gulped before turning to look at her and nodding.

"Let's go in then."

***

"Look at me, Miss Taylor. Your assailant is out there, somewhere. Are you honestly going to let him kill more people? You need to understand how important this is," a man in a black suit (Woojin) half shouted, half whispered at her but the girl continued looking past him, at the painting of a girl with blonde hair holding a teddy bear.

Maya stared at the girl who used to be her best friend from behind Seungmin's shoulder. Tears streamed down her face and she couldn't contain her emotions. Liv looked like one of those ghosts in horror movies. Although she was very much awake it looked like she was dead both inside and out. And that killed Maya inside. Seungmin could hear the girl's sobs and wanted to comfort her more than anything in the world but he couldn't – not in front of the head detectives.

"Miss Taylor, please. At least say something so we know that you can hear us," the other man (Minho) said but there was still no response. Everyone was clearly losing their patience with Liv at this point but the girl remained in another world.

"Let Miss Humphreys speak to her," Seungmin suggested.

Junior Detectives were usually meant to stay silent and let the Senior Detectives deal with situations like this. The fact he didn't, earned him surprised looks from everyone, including Maya.

A whole minute must have passed before the other detectives finally agreed and walked out. Just as Seungmin was about to leave, Maya pulled his sleeve.

"Please don't leave," she begged as she looked at Liv. "What if something happens?"

"Everything will be fine. Just talk to her. She's your best friend after all."

Then he left, closing the door tightly. Maya stared at the girl as she slowly approached her.

"Hey, Liv. How are-" she froze when the Australian girl suddenly looked at her, making her tear up again. "Liv," she whispered between her sobs. She was truly dead inside and Maya wasn't sure how much of all of this she could take. Then the other girl whispered something under her breath. "What was that?"

"What are you doing, Maya? Do you even know what is going on?" Liv asked in a hushed voice.

"No, I don't. I wan-"

"They're going to kill him."

"What?"

"I'm not the only one. I'm just the only surviving one... for now."

"Don't say that. You're a fighter. You'll live."

Liv chuckled coldly.

"Don't hate him, Maya. It was my fault. I saw something I shouldn't have."

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't let them kill him, okay? He doesn't know what he's doing. He's just young and depressed so he takes it out on people. It's not his fault."

"Olivia, tell me what's going on."

"They're going to kill him."

"Who? Who are they going to kill?"

"I saw something I shouldn't have."

"Liv! Tell me. Who did this to you?" Maya's heart was racing and she could feel the adrenaline rushing through her veins. She didn't really want to hear the answer, she was doing it for Seungmin. So that he could be finished with the case.

Liv searched the girl's eyes.

"You're going to let them kill him, aren't you?"

"Just tell me, for goodness' sake, Liv! Who did this to you?"

Olivia broke down into tears, bawling her fists and pulling her legs closer to her chest.

"They are going to kill him. They want to kill him. Maya, you can't let them kill him."

"Kill who?"

"Jinnie."

That one word alone was enough to make Maya's whole world crash to the ground.

"Jinnie?"

Olivia nodded.

"He did this."