Fourteen

"You're here!" Tzuyu squealed as she ran up to Seungmin and pulled him to the piano.

"Geez Tzuyu. So impatient," he chuckled and she let go of him as she began to turn pink.

"Sorry, I'm just excited."

Seungmin ruffled her hair playfully as he sat her down at the piano.

"Play for me."

Tzuyu's eyes widened as she turned to face him.

"I can't. That's why I asked you to help me."

"But I want to see what you know and what you don't."

"I know the names of the keys but nothing else."

"Is there a specific song you want to learn how to play?"

"Any Yiruma song. My mum used to play them to me when I was a child and I want to be able to play one to her for her birthday." Chan smirked.

"I thought you said you wanted me to teach you the piano because wanted a good grade."

"Uh...well...I...um...it's just...-"

"Did the Zhou Tzuyu lie to me? I thought you were too innocent to lie."

"Too innocent to lie? Is that even possible?" She laughed.

"A baby's too innocent to lie."

"Are you comparing me to baby?"

"Yeah. You're cute and all smiley. Why? Do you not like me comparing you to a baby?"

Tzuyu blushed at his comment.

"No, I like it. It's just...hey, lunch will end soon. Let's get started already."

"Fine."

Seungmin placed her fingers on the right keys and told her which keys to play but she kept on messing up. Eventually, he got behind her and put his fingers on top of hers and began playing the piano. Seungmin was so engrossed in the music that he failed to notice how dumbfounded and red Tzuyu was. She abhorred how she felt around the boy. She was so used it being the other way around where boys chased after her. There was only one other boy that was like Seungmin and she had tried to get him to fall in love with her but he just didn't. Tzuyu knew it was because Jinnie loved Maya instead of her and hated it just like she hated seeing Seungmin with her, but she realised how often they fought recently and decided to take her chance.

Suddenly, Seungmin began playing a completely different song – one she was unfamiliar with. She pulled her fingers away and listened as he sang. She absolutely adored his voice and felt as though she was going to melt every time he hit a high note.

It was a song about loneliness. About having no one around when he needed someone. About how he always had to push away whatever he felt and act like nothing mattered. About how he didn't like his job, whatever that meant. And how his colleagues constantly look down on him and bad-talk him.

Tzuyu could hear the pain in his voice. It was so touching, so melodious and sad yet alluring.

Then suddenly he stopped, catching her by surprise. When he noticed that the girl was still there, he turned red and scratched his nape.

"Sorry about tha-"

"Why'd you stop?" She asked with a pout.

"I haven't written the rest of the song."

"Wait, you wrote this?"

"Yeah."

"It's amazing! Your voice is beautiful and it really compliments the piano. Don't get me started on the lyrics...are they by any chance...based on how you feel?"

"What?"

"Do they describe how your life is and how you feel about it?"

"Of course not." He lied with a laugh. Although it was an obvious lie, Tzuyu sighed in relief.

"Thank goodness. I would have seriously messed up whoever those colleagues."

He wanted to laugh and tell her she wouldn't stand a chance but at that moment the bell rang. Instead, he sighed and ran a hand through his fluffy hair.

"We should go now," Seungmin told her and the both of them went to their different classes.