Chapter Nine

I stuffed my flute into my backpack as I prepared to go to the band room for practice.

After stuffing my last book in my backpack, I turned towards the room without looking where I was going. I ran face first into a chest. "Huh?" I asked, a little stunned.

I looked up and saw Noah with a smirk on his face. He shrugged. "I've called your name five times." I rolled my eyes and started to walk down the hall. He followed. "Why are you in such a pissy mood?"

"I bet you can guess," I responded, glaring at the floor.

He started walking a little faster before stepping in front of me and walking backward so that he could see my face. "What happened with Ashley."

I slung my backpack off my shoulder so I could grab something from the front pocket. "See for yourself."

In my hand was a blue card with white flowers on it. The letters on it spelled out "Save the date. March 19, 2021." It was just a simple invitation but it meant so much more. The card felt like it weighed a million pounds.

"Already? Didn't they get engaged a week ago?" His voice sounded the way I felt. Shocked. I expected to have at least a month to get used to the new arrangement.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed as I threw my hands in the air. "But apparently they want to get married as soon as possible. And it won't be that hard since it's a small, non-formal wedding."

"Um..." Noah's eyebrow was raised.

I pointed at him. "And I swear if you say 'it'll be okay' I will hurt you."

He laughed and grabbed my hand. "Okay, but how about I help you forget about all of this?"

I raised my eyebrow as if he was talking about a plan to rob a bank. "And how will you possibly do that?" I asked, my voice reaching a new hight with each word.

He smiled and cocked his head. "I could take you out to dinner tonight." Then he quickly added, "So you don't have to go home and see them together."

I smiled and laughed a little. "I'd like that. And not just the part about me not having to see them."

Then the two of us walked down to the band room. I was in some sort of a haze throughout the whole practice. I made mistakes every five seconds and I was fairly positive that the band director was about to strangle me.

When I stood up from putting my flute in my band locker I felt two arms wrap around me and spin me around. I smiled and laughed. Then I turned around to see Noah. I began to lean in, planning to kiss him but then I froze. I saw his smile turn into a pout. "I would kiss you but we had a PDA rule," I exclaimed.

He grumbled something about that being an unfair and old-fashioned rule but I was too giddy to care.

I unwrapped his arms from around me and looped my hand through his. Then we walked out to my car.

We fought over what restaurant to go to - Taco Bell or McDonald's - but he sadly underestimated my debate skills and was fuming the whole way to McDonald's.

After ordering out food we found a booth to sit in at the back of the dining area. I looked at the window across from me. It had one of those kiddie playgrounds. I smiled as I saw the young kids running wild.

"What are you smiling about?" Noah asked, breaking my trance.

It took me a few seconds to go over the question and prepare to answer. My lips were pressed into a firm line. "I'm just remembering those days. When I didn't have to worry about Connor or weddings. It was...relaxing." A long breath came from my mouth as I thought about the words I just spoke.