Prologue

It all started when I was five. Back then my mom was still in my life. she introduced me to a friend of hers and his son. The little boy's name was Braydon Wisely. He was an adorable little five-year-old who hadn't quite lost all his baby fat yet. He a wore bowl style haircut and baggy clothes.

   For a five-year-old like me, who still hadn't climbed out of their shell and embraced who they were, he was perfect.

By the time my seventh birthday came around, the two of us were inseparable. We did everything together. From video games on the Wii to tea parties we were side by side. That's how we worked. That's how we liked it.

Then middle school came around.

Braydon was going to another school so for once I was on my own. Soon I met a girl named Lily. She also had a guy best friend, his name was William but we called him Billy.

Lily spent day after day talking about the adventures she had with him and I'd joke about how everyone thought that Braydon and I should date.

Then the unthinkable happened.

I realized I liked Braydon. And after much debate with myself, I decided to tell him this.

He didn't feel the same way.

Later that year my mom left town after a scandalous breakup. She had cheated on her current boyfriend with multiple other guys. My mom was so embarrassed that she left without saying goodbye to anyone, including me. Braydon and I tried to keep in contact. It was a struggle since our parents were what connected us. Still, we talked on the phone. Once we even went to the movies. But friendship is a two-way street. I couldn't do everything.

When we were fourteen he started to text a little less. Then a little less. One day, two months before my freshman year, I asked him if he even cared if we were friends anymore,

That was the last sentence we ever said to each other.