Chapter Eight

Hello hello, I've managed to get a couple chapters done over the weekend, so I will probably post twice this week. I also made a blueprint of Theo's parents house both for my benefit as well as yours. I'm going to post that as a separate chapter so you can go back to it easily if you'd like to. Feel free to totally ignore it.

Anyway, we're finally going to meet the family. The next two (?? I think) chapters take place in the same day as this one, so lots of family introductions and such to get a feel for who they are.

Enjoy!

Chapter Eight:

I'm pulling into the driveway of my parent's house and Quinn is still asleep. When I park and cut the engine, she startles awake with a gasp. I laugh at her and take in my childhood home. It sits at the end of a long driveway, tucked away behind its own forest. The three-story white and red brick building has a wrap around porch with a small Christmas tree sitting beside the door. Snow covers the front yard and a path has been shoveled out to reach the front door. The driveway is lined with several cars that I recognize as my family members.

"Wow," Quinn breathes out. "How many freaking rooms does your house have?"

I shrug, "I've never counted." She gives me a pointed look. "I really don't know, my parents renovated a few times, you know?"

"Okay, fine, what about bedrooms?"

"Enough for my family."

"So, like, what? Eight?"

"About that, yeah," I shrug again and unbuckle. "Any other questions?" Quinn is still staring wide eyed at the house through the windshield. "Quinn."

"Hmm?" She whips her head toward me. "Oh, yeah, just one. What exactly does your family know about 'me'." She makes sure to throw in the air quotes.

"Not much, I managed to keep Riley as vague as I could. Besides the name, they only know that Riley has a strict work schedule which is why they have never met her. I usually tried to avoid the questions the best I could, I didn't want to build their expectations and disappoint them," I explain.

"Okay, got it, I'll just wing it then."

"I don't think that's the best-"

"I'm kidding," Quinn chuckles and climbs out of the car. I follow suit as we go to gather our luggage. "We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Trust me, they'll love them." She smiles as she slams the trunk shut and walks off toward the door.

"That's what I'm afraid of," I mutter under my breath. It will be one thing for my family to accept 'Riley' as my girlfriend, but it will be another thing if they love her. They'll want her to be apart of every family event. There will be another Mae sized hole in my family, and the relationship isn't even real. I dutifully follow Quinn before she can reach the front door. She shoots me a smile as I pass her and climb up the stairs. My boots thunk heavily against the wooden steps calling attention to our impending entrance. "You ready?"

"Stop stalling," She mutters and gives me a light shove. I give her a pointed look before opening the front door and stepping into the foyer. It's a large open space with boots piled by the door and a chest against the stairwell wall. Brown hardwood floors cover the whole first floor and a set of carpeted stairs are visible as soon as we step inside. "Holy sh-"

My mom comes quickly around the corner into the foyer from the family room. She smiles brightly and rushes right past me to Quinn. "Riley! It's so nice to finally meet you."