12

the days went by quickly. most of the teachers were either sending us to our common rooms with loads of homework, or nothing at all. it is the holiday season, so some professors just aren't focused.

     and today, actually, was christmas day. which means that it is the day of the yule ball.

     kids were arriving back from their homes, with new clothes, shoes, toys, and all. jenna had given me a slytherin scarf, and hermione, some kind of muggle treat. i can't remember what it was called, but it was some kind of chocolate coated wafers. i just wrote cards to all my friends, and apologized for having nothing better.

     it wasn't the best christmas, but it wasn't terrible i suppose. just a normal day. no one was really in the common room because they were all visiting their families.

     so, i sat alone for most of the break. reading, sleeping, walking around the castle, boring things. i tried sneaking into the forbidden forest for some fun, but i was caught quickly. it had been a dull holiday, so i couldn't be happier it was christmas.

     "my mum gave me these shoes, should i wear them, or the ones fred bought me? my mums match better, but i feel bad if i don't wear freds." jenna frowned. "wear freds first, and then change later." i replied. "i don't want to wear these in the photos." she mumbled.

     jenna and i chatted while getting ready, along with the rest of the girls in our dormitory. i was exceptionally excited, but also a bit nervous.

     "i don't know why you're so scared," jenna said, painting her eyelids a beautiful shade of sparkling blue, to match the dark teal colored dress she would be wearing this evening.

     "i don't know . . . for starters, everyone at this school hates me — and what if draco ditches me?" i answered tensely.

     jenna opened her mouth to respond, but was interrupted by the famously annoying pansy parkinson.

     "no way, you're the girl draco's going to the ball with?" she spoke in a low, malicious tone.

     i look up at her from my seat on the floor, in front of the mirror. "yes, i am . . . why?"

     she scoffed loudly, earning the attention of everyone in the room. "no wonder why he wouldn't tell anyone, that's quite embarrassing." she smirked. "at least i didn't get rejected by him." i replied, shrugging, passive-aggressively.

     "you probably poisoned him or something!" she straightened out scornfully. "and anyway, if you hadn't ruined it, i would be going with him. everybody in our year knows what draco and i have." she sneered.

     her words created a burning sensation in my stomach. i stood up in front of her, and narrowed my eyes. "i'm positive he only has eyes for one girl, pansy. i suppose you wouldn't know that, since he avoids talking to you at all costs." i whispered, glaring at her harshly.

     "don't act like you know, alecius. draco and i had quite a lively conversation just last night."
     "that's odd, because last i checked, draco didn't get back to hogwarts until this morning." i replied coldly to her lie.

     pansy rolled her eyes, keeping her cool. "piss off, minger." she insulted me, and walked away.

     i sighed, sitting back down. i continued to struggle with my hair.