Chapter 1; the Road to the Domain

(Link's Point of View)

After saying his goodbyes to Zelda, and saddling up his horse, Link set off. Epona walked gracefully along the road away from Hyrule castle. The hero could have easily used his Sheika slate to travel there instantly, but where was the fun in that?
Link sighed, slouching in the saddle and letting the reigns be loose on Epona's mouth. It had been a month or so since he had been outside the castle, and the slight fresh breeze calmed his worries.
   Epona's hooves clicked gently on the stone path out of the main Hyrule area. While still modern, the area was already beginning to feel more open and free. He laughed to himself, a soft breeze blowing his golden hair back away from his face.
   He relished in the newfound relaxation, as if he were floating along on a cloud. Hyrule plains would not be difficult to cross, for the guardians that once infested its expanse were now pacified by ganon's absence.
   Knowing this, Link was still hesitant. He wasn't sure if it was the memory of the pulsing blue and vibrant pink eyes, or the bringing hot lasers that came from them. He shuddered.
  Better not to think of that now.
    With a gentle noise of encouragement and a kick, he urged Epona to a swift trot. Everything was calm, and Link felt himself remembering why he enjoyed the wild so much.

However.

It didn't take long for the peace to fall into chaos.

Many of ganons monsters and followers still
roamed Hyrule, and Link had the pleasure of running into nearly all of them.
Days turned into a week before he finally reached Inago bridge. Epona had been stabled the day before at a nearby inn and ranch so he could take the harder, but less monster infested route over the mountains. He wiped at a fresh cut over his left brow, sighing gently. He'd nearly forgotten how tough Moblins could be with their spears and clubs.
    He looked around the carnage of the former Moblin camp, and quickly stored the weapons away in the sack he carried. The monsters would have no need for them any longer.

      His footsteps echoed over the bridge, and he tracked with a slight bounce to his step. To Link's own surprise, he was feeling already happier than he had in months.
He followed the ridge tracing the banks of the Zora River, and began his climb upward after quickly putting on a pair of climbing gloves. He'd learned his lesson in the time he was working to defeat Ganon. Rocks hurt.
      So with his gloves on his hands, and belongings on his back, he began to scale the mountain that he knew would lead him to Ralis pond. There, he would take a break from climbing, for the hard part would be over.
    He took several short breathers on outcroppings, to regain his stamina for more climbing. But what he failed to notice, was the looming dark clouds that began to drift over, and block the sun.
   Just as the hero reached the top of the cliff, rain began to pour. Dread manifested in the pit of Link's abdomen, as his hands began to slip on the now wet rock.
      He propelled himself upward, kicking desperately to get the rest of the way up. His efforts were In vain, sending Hyrule's champion falling several feet into a cliff outcropping, and tumbling down the rest of the way. He cried out helplessly as he fell.
     He felt the sharp stones cut into his skin, yelping in alarm every time he continued to fall. His hands reached to save himself, but each time he would slip once more. Link's arms had grown tired, and his legs numb. It wasn't long before his vision faded into black, and everything fell silent.....

...

(Sidon's point of view)

   The Zora Prince sat across the dining table from his father, prodding the seared meat on his plate with the fork he'd been given. He could feel his father's eyes bearing into his skull, out of worry of course, but Sidon paid no mind.
    His mind was overwhelmed with his increasing duties. Not only was the time nearing for him to claim the thrown, but Muzu had been pushing him to select a suitor. Of which, Sidon, had not found. None that he genuinely saw himself marrying.

"Sidon, my son."

  The red Zora glanced up,

"What is wrong?"

   King Dorophan let out a gentle sigh, leaning back in his chair. Sidon shrugged,

"Many things... father. I'm a little overwhelmed with the event occurring in our kingdom most recently."

"I see. That is quite understandable, for you are still young my boy. But I do believe you will soon be ready. Why don't you take a walk? Clear your mind."

   The king motioned to the door, offering a gentle and assuring smile. Sidon smiled slightly in response,

"Thank you father..."

   With that, he stood from his seat and jogged through the doorway, and out of the palace. Taking a more scenic route, the prince took a running jump off the raised visitor platform, and into the water below. It took him little time to swim past the Great Zora Bridge and down the Zora River.
   He let his mind go, to wander as it pleased. The river swept past his scales as he swam at a decent pace, Sidon allowing a small grin to grace his features. Flipping to his back he watched the ridges shift by as he swam past them.
   Storm clouds had begun to brew in the sky, but this hardly fazed Sidon, as lightning never struck water, and he did not have any sort of electric conducting metal in his jewelry.

   Without realizing, the young prince's mind wandered to his Hylian friend. The large Zora often thought of him, missing his unending determination and bravery. It was refreshing, spending time with link. Leading him to wonder where he was now.

     As if the goddesses were answering his question, a ear splitting scream came ripping into Sidon's hearing range. His body moved in instinct, down the river and towards the shore. In his peripheral vision, he could see the form of a being falling quickly down the mountain.
   Sidon propelled himself out of the water, catching the limp figure mid air and landing on the ground with a soft thud. He calmed his rapid and anxiety driven breathing, glancing down at the one he'd hopefully saved from another fatal tumble.
    To his surprise, and horror, it was the very person he thought of often and had come to care about. Hylian champion, and his closest friend, Link. His heart lurched, drawing the small knight closer to his chest in fear of he let go, Link would be taken away from him.

"Oh gods... what happened to you my friend...."

   He muttered, pressing his feet into the damp grass and making a run for his domain. He would not allow the champion to die, he owed that to him at least. No. He owed his life in Link's stead. Single handedly this knight had saved his people and all of Hyrule.

With this in mind. Sidon quickened his pace to great speed, positioning Link on his back so he would not slip and diving into the water. Careful not to allow

link's head to submerge underwater, he traveled faster than he could on foot down the river.

"Hang In there... I won't fail you. I promise."

Dearest readers,
Thank you for getting through chapter one of this story! I hope it was to your liking, because I worked hard to make it a decent length so that reading wouldn't be completely a waste of time.

Thank you!

(1253 works not counting authors note)