Germany

45 minutes later

"Hey, wake up, we're home." Nora attempted to shake Riley awake more than once, and in front of the car stood a large, pastel blue house, with a German flag hung on the side. Riley slowly opened her eyes to the familiar sight, and reluctantly rolled out of the car, slinging her bag over her shoulder for a final time, and following after Nora into the house. 

The interior was just as Riley remember from years ago; light, hard-wood floors, forrest green walls, and to the right, a rackety staircase. Against the side of the stairs stands a worn, creme-colored desk with two drawers filled with memories and heirlooms. Above the desk hung pictures of Nora's family; her mother, father, sister, and grandparents on both sides. A red flowered rug ran down hallway to the kitchen, tempting guests to follow. To the left, a light table of birch coloring, with matching chairs atop a black and white flower rug, stained with whine, gatorade, and other foods and drinks. To the right of the front entrance, a living room with a brown leather couch plagued with cuts and gashes. And just like when she was a child, Riley noticed the TV was the most modern thing in the house because Nora's family's traditions didn't allow for much change.

There was a bathroom that was tucked away just beneath the stairs, for guests or anyone that didn't wish to go up and down the stairs. Up the stairs, in a small corridor, lay four bedrooms, two either side,  each with their own balcony, and divided evenly and orderly. A fifth room laid at the end of the hallway which revealed itself to be a larger, more comfortable bathroom. Riley followed the staircase, with each step creaking louder than the previous.

When she and Nora were children, Riley stayed at this house quite often. Her parents typically fought every chance that was given, and so Nora's parents offered an oasis, or a safety net for Riley. The last room on the left, closest to the bathroom, was Riley's room, the one she had always and would always stay in. She creaked the old, rustic door open, and the stench of nostalgia bit at her nose and eyes. The room had once been her grandmother's, but unlike most of Riley's family, her grandma didn't disown her. Riley remembered helping her move to Nora's house when she was about eight, she was getting too old to take care of herself, and Riley's parents never paused arguing long enough to help. In slow, careful strides, Riley slowly sat on the side of the bed, admiring the faded pink flowers on a while quilt, strung at the foot of the bed. Against the wall the bed faced, a worn, white dresser with an orchid atop it sat, comfortable, and untouched. Above it, hung another, smaller TV. Unlike Nora's family, Riley's grandmother appreciated change, and saw the beauty and handiness in technology. Riley glanced around the room, remembering small pieces of furniture and things from her childhood, until her eyes finally landed on the sliding glass door that led onto a balcony, just behind her, and to the left of the bed. White, mesh curtains lay dazed, and elegant against the door. She remembered when she was young, the doors were taken off their hinges during the summer, and the curtains used to flow inside with the warm summer breezes at night.

Fatigued, and drained mentally, Riley finally dropped her small bag onto the floor, and dug through it to find her charger. As she reached to plug it in, a gentle hand tapped on the door. Riley turned to see Nora in a bright and violet dress, holding a white piece of cloth with bits of yellow. She held onto two corners of it, and let the rest fall to reveal a small white dress, splattered with sunflowers. "Shoulder-less and above the knee just the way you like." Nora flashed her pearly whites again, while extending the dress toward Riley in a suggestive manner. "Go on then, put it on!" Her smile was so bright and happy, and flawless. Riley always admired how innocent and kind she looked, and the feeling of comfort that inevitably came with. "Nah, I'm good. I think I'll just lay down for a bit." Nora's beautiful smile dropped rather quickly. "No stupid, put on the damn dress, we're going to a football charity match. Or, we could go shopping!" Her eyes reignited, and she smiles just enough to be noticed. She sensed Riley was confused, or not willing at the very least, so she cleared her voice with hesitation, and proceeded to explain. "For clothes, of course. It's not too posh, but its a good idea to dress nicely." Her smile widened little by little, and she laid the dress nicely across a white cushioned chair, hidden away in the corner of the room. Nora did a small spin, and when she made the full circle, she found Riley sat on the edge, still displeased, and still not willing. Nora huffed a little and plopped on the bed beside Riley.