Chapter 3: Sugar and Spice

Highschool, the hell on earth for awkward teens all over America. A zit covered rash on a mosquito bite. The only place that girls can eat tampons and still get busy in the bathroom. It just happens I guess. The food sucks and so do half the guys here, the other half are idiots. Sitting in biology is the last place I wanted to be, but there was nothing I could do. The guy sitting beside me was picking his nose, the girl in front of me was doing her makeup even though she looked like a freaking clown. The guy behind me just walked in and fell asleep.

 “Onyx Asher to the main office.” Said the lady that does the loudspeaker thing. Everyone turned to look at me. I got up, grabbed my stuff and walked out of class. I had never been to the office before (shocking, I know) so I got lost three times. When I finally got to the office I saw the lady behind the desk, her nails pink and long, her hair a deep brown, and her lips a shocking red. She looked crazy. I just smiled and asked her where I was supposed to go.

 “Ah, Onyx Asher! Please, have a seat.” The principle smiled showing a row of teeth as white as fresh tile. He looked like he just had his life together which intimidated me for some reason. People who know what they’re doing scare the living crap out of me.

 “Hi,” I sat down, “What am I supposed to be here for.” I asked, being unusually careful of what I was saying.

 “Well, in truth, I wanted to ask you for a favor.” He looked a little nervous. I suddenly felt more confident. I shifted slightly and sat up straighter. He seemed to have noticed and the corners of his mouth turned up slightly in an almost smile. What happened next is almost impossible and completely unlike anything I had witnessed before. No one else felt it happen. No one saw it. The air turned cold and sour, the birds stopped chirping. Everything stopped when he came through the door. His pale face lacked the life I had come to expect from a human being. It was almost like his very presence left you frostbitten with a sense of cold dread and empty fear. Like your heart had left you and all you could do was pray for warmth.

 “Hello,” He smiled, “I would like to introduce myself. My name is…” He didn’t get to finish. Fire drills suck, but they help us stay safe or whatever.

 By the end of the day, I still didn’t know the kids freaking name. I just kept calling him Bob. He kept trying to tell me, but something interrupted him every time. In the end, I just gave up trying. I’m never going to learn anything about this kid. He’s just Bob I guess.