Chapter 40 "Where's The Baby"

"We really need to talk," Halstead tells her.
"About what?" Shaylynn asks.
"About what you've done," he says.
"Excuse me?!" she says getting pissed.
"In your past," Halstead says.
Shaylynn looks away, "You wouldn't be able to handle it!" she tells him.
"Remember I was a Ranger," Halstead reminds her.
"And I can guarantee you haven't done half of what I have!" she says looking back at him.
Halstead looks at her surprised, "Is it that bad?"
Shaylynn looks down at her lap, "You can't imagine in your darkest nightmares what I've done!"
He just leaves it at that not pressing her anymore.

~~~~~~~

Christmas and New Year's have come and gone.
Shaylynn bought two trucks for Halstead.

A 2019 Ford Raptor....

And a custom made, with upgrades, 2019 Hennessey VelociRaptor 6x6

That way he could just use the GMC Sierra for work.

~~~~~~~~~

A month has passed.
Shaylynn's sitting in Mollie's eating a bagel while she holds Jacquelyn who's napping.
She can see out the window Beth walking out the side door that's by the bakery.
Turning, she walks in and sees Shaylynn.
"How's the new place coming?" Shaylynn asks her.
"We should be in very soon," Beth tells her walking over and sitting down.
Shaylynn smiles at her, "What?" Beth asks.
"It's nice to see Kelly settling down," Shaylynn tells her, "When I came back here, you wouldn't believe how many people thought he and I were going to get together. For some reason, Jay thought the same thing. Adam told me he found Jay in the locker room at the District having a breakdown because I talked to Kelly after helping him in the river with a deranged woman. That was the first time I ever met Kelly and Jay thought I was going to run off with him right then and there," she says shaking her head.
Beth looks out the window, "Speaking of Jay, he's walking this way."
Shaylynn looks out the window to see Halstead walking toward the bakery.
"I'll talk to you later," Beth says.
She stands up and walks to the back as Halstead walks in.
He walks over to the table Shaylynn's sitting at and sits down, "I need to talk to you," he tells her.
"What is it?" she asks.
"There's this situation at work," Halstead says, "One of Adam's CIs is in some serious shit and needs a place to stay."
Shaylynn looks at Halstead pissed, "Jay, I'm not going to have some prostitute living in our house!"
Halstead shakes his head, "It's not like that! She's seventeen and it seems her parents are trying to frame her for their murders. She's out in my truck."
"Go get her!" Shaylynn tells him.
Halstead stands up and rushes out of the bakery.
A minute later Halstead walks back in with the girl walking behind him.
Shaylynn looks up as Halstead steps out of the way, "Reneē?" she questions.
"Hi, Shaylynn," Reneē says.
Halstead looks at Shaylynn surprised, "You know her?" he asks.
"Her father and my father use to work together," Shaylynn tells him.
"Right now she needs a stable and safe place to stay. That's not with Adam and Kim at this moment. I figured since our house is like Fort Knox, she would be safe there," Halstead tells her.
"Okay," Shaylynn says catching Halstead off guard.
"Just like that?" he asks.
"Just like that," Shaylynn says looking at Reneē, "There will be rules you have to follow, agreed?!"
"Agreed," Reneē says looking at Shaylynn and then to Jacquelyn.
"Great!" Halstead says, "I'll take Reneē so she can get her stuff."
"How long will that take?" Shaylynn asks putting Jacquelyn in her car seat.
"Probably about an hour," Halstead says.
"Okay, that way I can get somethings done," Shaylynn says picking up her bag then puts it over her shoulder.
"I'll see you in while," Halstead says kissing Shaylynn.
He and Reneē turn around and walk out of the bakery.
"BETH!" Shaylynn yells.
Beth comes running to the front "Damn, you have a loud mouth!" she tells Shaylynn.
Shaylynn sticks her tongue out at Beth making her laugh, "I need to borrow a painter," Shaylynn says.