Chapter 11: Betrayal

You, Clem, Javi, Kate and Gabe make it to the public waters building when Javi turns to you and Clem. "Clem..(y/n), you guys come with me to get the truck." He said and both of you nod. He turns to Kate and Gabe and said. "Gabe and Kate, you guys hang back here. Be ready for anything." 

You three go over to the slightly opened gate and Javi starts to open it when Gabe walks up to him. "I see what's going on. You're punishing me 'cause I told everyone what you did, right? Screw that. I'm going to get that truck. You stay behind and keep watch." Gabe growled at his uncle.

"You proved your fucking point already, Gabe. Now it's time to grow up and help us." Clem snapped at him, making Gabe jump a little but he keeps his ground as he glares back at Clem. Javi was taken aback that Clem defended him while you look between the two boys, you knew if you didn't do something Clem would do something he would regret.

"Hey, Gabe. Come on. I need you to watch my back on this one." You said to Gabe, trying to make him feel like he has an important job. Gabe looks down for a moment then said. "Yeah, okay. I guess somebody needs to be a lookout." Gabe smiles at you and you make a small smile towards him, not knowing Clem glaring daggers at Gabe from behind you,  just as you look behind him and see Kate smiling.

"What?" You asked her, annoyed, and she turns her head away for a moment then back to you. "Nothing." She replied, still smiling. "Gabe and I will be fine back here." Javi smirks towards her then he leads you and Clem away.

You and Clem start to look around while Javi talks to Gabe, who told him that he was sorry for what he said and hoped that Javi could trust him again. After Javi talks to him he goes over to you and Clem as Clem asked. "What's going on?" Javi nods at you two and said. "Thanks."

"For what?" You asked. "Helping out with Gabe. He's having a rough time." Javi said. "Yeah, we all are." Clem growls as he walks away. You roll your eyes and shake your head as you look over at Javi. "I'm just doing what I can." You said to Javi and he smiles at you. "Let's keep looking for that truck." Javi said. "You got it." You replied, nodding at him. 

After a few moments of looking around, Javi comes up to an opened garage door and saw a truck inside. "There it is. Let's go." He calls out to you and Clem. You two follow him inside the garage and see the very large truck. Javi goes to the driver's door then sighs as he grabs the door handle.

"What are the chances?" He asked you and Clem. "I'd say about 50/50." You replied. "I'd second that." Clem said as Javi opens the door, revealing nothing inside. "Smart-asses." Javi said, making you and Clem smile. Then you and Clem glance at each other then high-five each other. 

Javi starts to climb in until an office light comes on and two people start walking around. Javi gets down then you three lean against the truck while Kate and Gabe walk towards you three. "Early risers. Come on. We gotta hurry and finish before more people wake up." Kate said to you three.

"What are we gonna do??" Gabe asked. "We can't start the engine--not without attracting a lot of attention. Kate, you steer. The rest of us are gonna get behind the truck and push. See if we can't get some distance between us and them." Javi replied and Kate climbs in while you, Clem, Javi and Gabe go behind the truck.

"Ready?" Javi asked you and the boys.

"Ready." Both you and Clem said.

"Ready." Gabe said as he gets into position. Then the three of you, quietly, push the truck out of the garage. "Turns out you needed me after all, huh?" Gabe said Javi glances at him. "You know I'm just trying to keep you safe, don't you?" Javi asked. 

"Yeah, but--"

"But nothing! You wanna keep doing stuff like this, you gotta learn how to follow directions." Javi said to Gabe after you guys pushed it alittle farther out.