Chapter 1

"Zeke!" I called walking out of the front door.
I put my yellow raincoat hood over my head so my brown hair won't get damp from the pouring rain. I was walking around the porch to get a better look to where my little brother had gone. He usually hides on days like these, The sky grey, thunder rumbling, rain going down in sheets, we never exactly knew why, he just does it. I slowly walked down the damp wooden porch steps to walk over to the gate that leads to our backyard. I opened the white gate and started looking around the backyard. The bright green grass was already soggy, and the small playground near the shed was covered with bright blue drapes. I heard footsteps in the distance.
"Zeke! Come on, I'm not playing games here, come out. Now." I said seriously crossing my arms.
"I don't want to, Gwen!" Zeke whined, his voice coming from the shed. I walked over to the light blue shed. I knocked on the door.
"What's the password?" Zeke said leaning against the other side of the door. I thought for a moment.
"Uh..." I mumbled pressing my fingers against my forehead as if I had a headache. "Bulldozer?" I crossed my arms again.
Zeke gasped. "How did you know?" Zeke asked fiddling with the door knob. "Well, I'm still not letting you in."
I furrowed my eyebrows. "Wha– Why?" I groaned. "Mom's gonna kill us!" I thought for a moment.
"I'm not coming out, and you can not make me." Zeke shouted.
"Okay." I said walking further away from the shed. "I guess we're are gonna leave you here... Forever." I joked looking away from the tiny shed with my hands on my hips.
"Wait!" Zeke exclaims.
"I'll come out." Zeke opens the shed door. I saw that his blonde hair was wet and damp from the rain, and his clothes were soaked, and he didn't have his red raincoat on.
"Zeke, If you don't wear a jacket you're gonna get sick, especially if it's raining that hard out." I said looking over at him. Zeke had a face of guilt and concern.
"Will I..." Zeke's voice fell into a whisper. "Will I get sick?" I began to walk over to the white gate to exit the backyard.
"I don't know." I said opening the white gate. "Come on, Zeke, If you don't hurry you'll probably get sick for sure." I speed walked further and further away from the gate to get to the front door with Zeke following me. I opened the front door to let Zeke in as I went in with him. I took off my raincoat and swampers and headed into the kitchen. Mom was preparing to marinate packaged meatloaf. "Ugh, meatloaf again?" I groaned.
Mom looked over at me. "Yes." Mom shifted her blue eyes back on what she was paying attention to. I walked over to the pantry and opened it. There was barely any food in there, just a bunch of soup cans and an empty box of twinkies.
"You think you could run to the supermarket today?" I asked closing the pantry door.
"I don't know." Mom said. "After all, it is pouring out." I walked out of the kitchen and walked up to my youngest brother Kenny who was sitting on a high chair near the dining room table. He had a toy car in his hand, and a sippy cup of water relaxing in the cup holder. Kenny looked over at me. "You wanna get down?" I asked shrugging. He nodded. I picked him up and held him.
"Where do you wanna go?"
"There!" Kenny said pointing to where the den stairs was. I walked over to where he pointed and went down the staircase leading to the den. I put him down and he walked over behind the couch where Zeke was.
Zeke was sitting down on the carpet behind the couch, which the couch was in front of the TV which was playing a hockey game. Ben was sitting on the couch watching the hockey game as he was taking quick sips of his soda and putting it on the coffee table. Whenever he uses the TV, he usually plays video games on his PlayStation instead of watching sports, and I was surprised that he was doing that for the first time in a while. Ben's blond hair that was in a mullet was surprisingly dry, so it seemed he had stayed inside all day.
"Hey Ben, you hanging out with your girlfriend tonight?" I asked looking over at the TV.
Ben furrowed his brows. "What, you thought I was going out or something?" Ben said looking over at me.
"No." I reply looking over at Ben's cat Lola who was sitting on the couch right next to Ben, who was stroking her white fur as she was in the process of falling asleep.
Ben turned off the TV and went upstairs as Lola followed him for some reason. I walked over to where Zeke and Kenny were and I sat down with my legs crossed.
"Don't you think you should change your clothes, Zeke?" I asked.
Zeke had an action figure in his hand. "Well..." Zeke said looking over at the figure. "Maybe my clothes will dry."
I stood up. His jeans didn't look as wet, just a bit though, it looked like he didn't need to change them. Sometimes I worry a bit about Zeke, 'cause he gets lost or hurt very easily. I guess that's because he's a curious boy, like one time he went missing for some time at a fair because he wanted to see what was in the distance. and sometimes he would get into trouble too. So I guess you can say that Zeke is curious and trouble making at the same time. Kenny is the same way, except he isn't troublesome. I went upstairs to exit the den to get to another staircase leading to my room. After I went up the grey carpet stairs, I ran down the hallway to get to my room. I closed the door and walked up to my bed to sit on it. I layed on my side with my head resting on my white pillow. I checked my watch. It was still morning time. I scoffed quietly covering my face with the pillow