16

Three cups smacked top down on the wooden floorboards, monster-like hands covered the each bottom. The three Davy Jones' men exchanged looks with one another, eyes and faces poisoned by the spell of the game they played. "I wager...ten years." The first one said, Davy Jones's first mate.

"I'll match ten years." The second challenges, lifting his face up to meet the third pirates eyes.

"Agreed." The third gave a sinister smirk before they lowered themselves to the ground to look at the dice beneath the cup.

Will and Evelyn watched the men playing their unique game. Curiosity and boredom struck Evelyn as she crossed her arms over her chest, lightly bumping her hip against Will's. The man had his arm crossed in front of his chest and his fingers lightly touching his lips. He quickly flashed her a look before looking back at the game. Will was fully interested in the game. "Wondering how it's played?" A voice came from behind Will and Evelyn. They stood shoulder to shoulder, peering down at the men on their knees. As Will remained forward, Evelyn threw a glance over her shoulder to see Bootstrap walking up to Will's side. They exchanged a small smile before turning their attention back to the game.

Will's eyes darted to the side at his father then back to the game. "I understand." Will said at last, his voice soft and silky. "It's a game of deception. But your bet includes all the dice, not just your own." He paused, glancing at his father then facing forward. Confusion was written across his face. "What are they waging?"

"The only thing we have." Bootstrap met Evelyn's eyes, sensing she knew the answer by the look she gave them.

Her face soften as she looked at the two males. Evelyn bumped her hip gently against Will's again, gaining his attention. "Years of service." She finished his sentence softly, eyes flickering back to Bootstrap.

"Aye. Smart girl." Bootstrap gave her a nod, impressed by her answer.

"So, any crew member can be challenged?" Will asked quietly, facing his father as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Aye. Anyone." He replied, nodding gently as he watched his son face forward, thinking deeply. His eyes began to stare down at the dice and cups along the floorboard below the deck of the ship. A calm, unfazed look grew on Will's as he thought to himself. He could sense Evelyn staring at him but he ignored it. She knew he was going to do something.

A pit formed in her stomach. She knew that look in his eyes and the expression written across his semi dirty face. "Will." Her voice in a low, warning tone. She looked at him but he didn't return the gesture. 'Don't do anything stupid. Don't do anything stupid. Don't do anything stupid.' She wanted to say to him. For a moment she felt like Jack, begging Will not to say or do anything stupid.

"I challenge Davy Jones." Will said at last causing the crew to go silent and look up at him. Evelyn's eyes bulged out of her head as she froze. 'Like that.' The words spoke in her head. She wanted to scream at him and cover his mouth, saying he didn't mean it as she escorts him to their little hammock. Her thoughts were instantly disrupted. The organ music from above them stopped sharply. Silence washed across the crowd of men as they all look up to the ceiling. Two different forms of footsteps echoed across the wood from above them—one foot and one like the sound of giant crab leg. Small sea creatures on the ceiling pulled back into their shells with each step from above. A few pirates began laughing darkly at Will as the sound echoed across the ceiling and stopped at the stairs. Within the storm from above appeared Davy Jones, rushing into view.

"I accept, mate." Davy Jones said, his voice unsettling calm causing the hairs on Evelyn's arm to stand. The captain met Will's stare, neither one of them so much as blinking. The crew pulled up barrels and a table for the the two opponents. Leaving Evelyn's side, Will went to sit down a barrel being used as a seat, watching Jones stalk closer to him. He stood up as Jones stood before him. "The stakes?" He asked curiously.