Part XXI

The front door tinkled and I called out, "Welcome to Pushing Daisies!" After a few days, I found that people would get lost in the front of the store if I didn't give them some indication of where to go. I could hear quick footsteps approach as the newcomer followed the sound of my voice.

"Clover!" Out from the greenery bursts Montana, hands full and wide-eyed. I jumped in my skin, startled at his abrupt greeting.

"Monty! What are you doing here scaring me half to death? And when did you start carrying a briefcase?"

"Shh, shh. I hardly have any time." The manic look is his eyes told me he was serious and I waited for what he had to say. "Remember in high school how you could always get us through those combination locks on gates so I could go paint somewhere, do you think you can still do that?"

"Can a bird always fly?" I giggled to myself as he shoved the briefcase onto the counter.

"Open this." He instructed. I picked up the case and looked closely at the kind of lock holding it closed.

"I mean, I'm not a magician, but I will try." Holding the case close to my ear I began to tinker with the knobs. Soon I heard the familiar clicking and within minutes the case flew open, covering me in small baggies of pills. "What the fuck is all this Mont?! Why do you have this shit? What is going on? Are you using??"

Montana tried desperately to calm me down but Greta quickly materialized from the back.

"So you little rays of sunshine are in the drug running business now, interesting." She said as she picked up one of the baggies and held it in the light. Me and Montana were frozen like statues among the outpouring of drugs. "We have some grade-A amphetamines here, where did you get these?" She looked at me and I shrugged, pointing at the reddening Montana. He had some explaining to do.

Montana began a frenzy of stuffy the small bags back into the briefcase. "I have to go deliver this or we are going to have trouble."

"Wait, no! You can't! You aren't a drug runner! Stop it Montana!" I was swatting at his hands.

Greta touched my shoulder and whispered, "Trust him."

This soothed me for a moment and Montana looked up gratefully at her.

"I promise I will be right back." He looked directly into my eyes and sprinted towards the door. "I'll explain everything!"