Chapter 3

I'm sorry but I have flu at the moment. Thinking is difficult but I wanted to update the chapter, so I hope this chapter is not disappointing. Sorry.

I have tried to find the right word, but 'veranda' is the only English word, I know for the area outside, covered by wood or stone and used as a seating area. I can see this area on many drawings of both Chinese and Japanese homes, but no name sadly. Does anyone here know the name?

----------------

When did annoyance become feelings of care?

Lan Wangji wondered this very question as he sat before his guqin, the fading notes of Inquiry still echoing in the air.

It was beautiful tonight, the moon glowing ethereally in the night sky, surrounded by the stunning light of so many stars. It was a night when Wei Ying would have been lying on the veranda beside him or in the grass, just quietly staring up at the sky, content with the world.

Four days had now passed, from the day he returned to Gusu with A-Yuan. It had been agreed that for now, A-Yuan would be tended to by Lan Ai, who would bring the child to him every day, here in the Jingshi. By assuming the responsibility of a father, there were many traditional roles that he must fill in the place of Wei Ying, a position that felt as though a betrayal to Wei Ying and the greatest honor of them all.

Wei Ying acting as mother, teacher and father for A-Yuan completely disregarded all traditions. In his Sect, a child of the correct age to begin their education and training were, supported by their father, who would ultimately stand before the elders with his children behind him.

Without a mother, it fell to Wangji to begin this early phase of teaching, a role his uncle had upheld when his own father entered near permanent seclusion. Unlike his uncle though, Wangji respected that this little boy was grieving, lost and most likely afraid. Yuan needed time to adjust and support to adapt to this new lifestyle. He was worried the little boy might not adapt to the Gusu way of life, with only Wangji as his support, but he knew Xichen was trying to help them both.

So far, his uncle had avoided him and according to Xichen, he had not taken the news well, that his nephew had decided to adopt a random homeless, orphaned child. Wangji's main interest in this development, was whether their uncle intended to publicly oppose Yuan. Xichen when he arrived that night to tend to his wounds, simply stated that Xichen as Sect Leader had declared the child, the son of Wangji, by pledge. This placed him in a position of guardian, with the expectation that he would fulfill the role of Yuan's father. His uncle was reportedly outraged and confused, as if his nephew had swapped his love for Wei Ying with a son, when said nephew had never once shown any interest in becoming a father.

Wei Ying would have been endlessly entertained by this. He could see in his mind's eye the way his hair would fly up, like a flock of cranes, as his head was thrown back in amusement and he could hear the heart-warming sound of that riotous laughter.

Xichen had done this irrespective of their uncle's opinion, a fact that Wangji appreciated more than words could say. His brother had done this for his own reasons, but he had placed himself close to the fire as Wei Ying would have said. Too close and your robes will burn. It would take time to forgive his brother for his role in Wei Ying's death... his brutal murder... but it was what Wei Ying would have wanted. Sect Leader Jiang was not much of a brother as far as Wangji could see and forgiveness, between him and Wei Ying was impossible, with his impenetrable bitterness.

Xichen would protect them, him and A-Yuan as much as he could. He may not want or need that protection, but it was his older brother's way.

Stroking his fingers along the strings, he considered that he would need to teach A-Yuan to play. The flute would be more appropriate, but he had never learned that particular instrument and to be fair, Wei Ying had always vocally admired his musical talents. Yes. He would teach him to play the guqin.