Prologue

As he lay down upon a pile of dried hay, a downtrodden, old man smiled wistfully to himself. Stroking his beard as he continued to make himself comfortable, he felt a sudden drop in the temperature of the stable.
Sensing the presence of another, he paused his movements, seemingly waiting for the other to speak.

It seemed like an age before the old man broke the silence. Not even bothering to turn around, he spoke slowly, "I assume that you're here regarding the birth"

The other figure clad in a shimmering black robe, that seemed to flow around their body like water, nodded, " Yes, my Lord, it appears that you have a grandson."

The smile on the mysterious man's face grew, taking on a joyous, yet menacing aspect. As he got to his feet, he seemed to inexplicably change, growing taller and more imposing with every passing moment. His very essence now exuded the feeling of majesty and power.

He spoke once again, his voice no longer cracked and feeble, but powerful with an unnatural timbre,
"It seems that we will need to prepare some gifts, especially since our bloodline will bring him so much pain".

He reached out to grasp the robed figure's shoulder, and with a flash they disappeared, leaving nothing but an empty barn and a crimson scorch mark in the shape of a bird where they stood.

In a dimly lit room, far away from the stable, a couple hold a new born infant in their arms. Their faces filled with delight as they cradle their child.
Unbeknownst to them a small scarlet mark appeared on the nape of the child's neck, it seemed to grow clearer and larger with every parting moment, like ink spreading on a paper.
If one looked closely at the birth mark, it seemed to resemble a Phoenix spreading it's wings, an auspicious icon that would prove the catalyst to an unprecedented upheaval and the rise of a legend.

Author's Note:
While the first three chapters and the prologue are rather short, I know, after that they will be picking up to between 750-1500 words. The first parts were just rather short as I began to introduce the setting. But please don't let this discourage you as there will be far more exciting prospects on the horizon.