Chapter 34- Just as broken.

Chapter 34- just as broken.

I stare at her beautiful face and slide my finger across her cold cheek. Its been two days and i haven't moved from this room in all that time, i haven't even moved from my chair.

Its probably got a huge dent in it by now.

I hear the door open and the woman that talked to me when they were taking Natalie into the operating theatre entered, checked her pulse and the equipment, jotted down a few things on her notepad and left without a single word. This has been the routine for the past two days; every few hours someone comes in and checks on her, leaving me more anxious with each visit.

Greg and Alex visited this morning and the girls said they would, visit later this afternoon. As soon as the boys saw me Alex sat next to me and told me words of comfort while Greg stood over Natalie holding her hand silently wishing he could do more to help her.

"Stop beating yourself up, Greg." I told him as i held her other hand. Alex sat and just looked at her with his hands linked and resting on his lap. I patted his back with my other hand, he looked up and gave me a small smile, not brilliant but its the most we've got out of him this since being here.

"You think she'll get better ?" Alex whispered. I patted his back.

"Of course she will. this is our ninja girl we're talking about." I assured but deep in the back of my mind i had no clue. I knew she was strong willed but this was life threatening. I just held on to that small sentence that escaped from my own mouth and repeated it in a mantra.

She will get better, she will get better.

Now, I stood to open a window, hoping that a light, cool breeze would relax me and the rest of us.

I laid my head on her stomach and let my head lift up and down with each of her light breaths. No donors have come forward yet and the doctors have no clue when there could be one. They told us to stay positive  on the subject, but thats hard when no ones telling us anything.

Her parents have visited when i asked Keith to call them and let them know about Natalie. When they got here from Scotland i left them to have some time alone with her. Her mother seemed the most broken out of the two he dad looked pained to see his daughter laying on a hospital bed.

I entertained my self by going to get myself a drink of water and maybe a tea for her both her parents. Its a shame that the first time we meet is over Natalie's hospital bed. I grabbed myself a cup, at the same time a young girl reached for the same cup. I retracted my hand and we both laughed. She was wearing a hospital gown and holding a portable drip in one hand. She seemed just as pale as Nat, maybe even more. She had a bandana wrapped around her head but dispute all that her most striking feature was her smile.

She laughed faintly. "Sorry. You go." She gestured to the cup. I shook my head, made a drink and handed it too her. She took the drink and thanked me.

"Your welcome. " i said.

"So, what you doing in this hell whole ?" She asked as she sat down next to the fountain. I leaned on it and sipped my water. " my girlfriends in a coma. Im here to keep an eye on her."

She hung her head low. "Im sorry about that. I hope She gets better." She said. I smiled at her warmly and put the cup to my lips, sighing. "So do i." I mumbled against it.

"How long has she been in a coma?"

"Only two days but the doctors aren't telling me anything." I huffed.

"Ahh they tend to do that. They claim that they don't want to share anything until absolutely sure, which i guess is understandable, but still it slowly kills your spirit, and hope." She said. I stared at her. Every word she said was true it was killing me slowly, painfully not knowing anything about her.

"Who did you -"

"Before i came here with my cancer my friend suffered in a car crash. I stayed by her side for days, weeks but the doctors said nothing. I never left her side, but i was only gone for two minutes and when i came back she was gone. Ive never been able to deal with that. Ive always felt responsible for not looking after her in those two short minutes. Its killed me more than my cancer has."

I sat by her and wiped the tears that had falling as she spoke. She hugged me and i hugged her back for comfort. She needed someone to tell her that these things happen and that its not your fault if you leave them for two minutes or even thirty seconds, your not to blame. She broke the hug and sniffled. I reached in my pocket for the packet of tissues I've been hoarding these past two days and gave one to her. She thanked me. "Its not your fault you know." I said gently.

She looked down. "But i want there for her -"

"Nothing's worse than grief, i know. But you have to be strong and understand that it wasn't your fault she passed away. Her time came and the most important part is that you stayed with her while everyone else watched from the sidelines." She sniffled again.

"Really ?"

I nodded "of course ! Shes going to help you get through your cancer. Shes not going to give up on just like you never gave up on her."

"Your right! Thanks...um..whats your name?"

"Nick."

"Thanks nick. Your girlfriends really lucky to have to by her side. I'm going to pull through!" We hugged again and she stood. "Im Amelia by the way. It was amazing to meet you nick." She waved me goodbye and i stood to go back to Natalie's room. When i got there it was empty. I sat back down on my dented chair and picked up her hand again, squeezing tighter this time.

A doctor entered again and resumed the Normal procedure, but this time he stopped next to me. "Nick is it ?"

I nodded. "Hi, I'm one of Natalie's doctors. We've been checking her progress and found that shes slowly getting worse. The medicines that we put her on for the wound haven't been reposing well to her system but we have other means of sorting it out. But i feel like i should warn you that if she gets any worse then.. We may need to cut off her life support."

My anger boiled at the thought, i started seeing red. "What ?" I growled.

He started shaking visibly "you'll never touch that life support! You hear ?!" He nodded and scuttled out of the room like lighting.

I sat back down in her room, beside her bed and held her hand to my lips. Kissing her smooth skin lightly.

"No ones taking you away from me, no one." I mumbled as i laid my head on her stomach again.