Chapter III: Crazy To Happen

At twelve noon, Doc Sam dismissed the class. It was lunch break then. I went out of the classroom and headed to the canteen. While I was walking down the stairs, I saw Jazz. She had her lunch break too and was about to get something from her locker. Then I called her, “Hey Jazz, how was it there?” She enthusiastically replied, “It was fine. We just need to clear the second batch later for us to finalize the roster.” And I asked her, “Are you done with your lunch?” “I am about to” she smiled at me. “Would you……like to join me?” I softly and slowly asked. “Suuuuuuuuurrrre!” she shouted. “But……. can you wait for me in a bit? I’ll just….. get something from my locker.” She added. “Just here” I answered.

            Five minutes passed and she came. “What did you get there?” I queried. “Just something not that important.” She replied. Then I continued to ask her, “What school did you come from?” “I’m from Queen Elizabeth College.” She responded. “So, you were once called “The Shadow” hah?! And I think that name really suits you. You got…… good moves. You are fast……. and you can play any position you want.” She sustainably asked. I simply chuckled.

            After few moments of walking, we reached the canteen. And there we fell in line to get our food. She was in front of me. She was really interesting. She got a well-blonde straight hair. She was not that tall but she was good to compete in a pageant. She was sexy and maybe intelligent. She was perfect for me.

            “Oh……I really like this girl!” I eagerly told myself. While I was thinking of those things, I did not notice that she was getting food for both of us. And she just told me to find a place where we could comfortably eat. Then, I found one and sat there and waited for her. Seconds passed she came on.

            I found that she likes seafood. But I was startled when I saw the other food. They were all my favorites. I was thinking how she knew that I eat such food. I did not ask her for she might think that I was presumptuous of things. Then she suddenly said, “I know that these foods are your favorites because I saw them on your social media account.” “Oh really? I chortled. “Well, you just got me.” I continued. As I was about to put food into my mouth, she offered to do it for me with her chopsticks with shrimp. Then I simply approved.

            I thought that I could do it too but I was not able to do so.

We finished eating all within thirty minutes. I did not like to finish that moment but I needed to face the reality of not having such time permanently. Then we headed to the gymnasium to watch the second batch of rookie try-out game.

When we were walking along the way to the gymnasium, I asked her, “Why do you love basketball?” “It’s amazing” she sighed. “Do you play it too?” I continued asking. “Yes of course!” She proudly answered. “Oh…maybe we can play together during our free time, is it ok with you?” I asked. “Surely, and maybe I can beat you and I will not let you make a point.” She smugly responded. Then, I just told myself “It will be fine to play with her since she knows something about the game.”

            Meanwhile, as we approached the gymnasium, we heard students shouting and yelling. Then we ran to see what was happening. The students were shouting, “Alfi, Alfi, Alfi!” I looked at the court and there he was. With great moves and fast passes and the high shooting skill, the people inside the gymnasium made shout at their best.

            So Alfi was impressive. After the game, we were all summoned by the coach. And finally, we came to the point of choosing the qualified rookie-applicants. But the team management has told us that they will just post the roster of qualified rookie-applicants at the Information Center.

            As always told to us, competition is a competition. No one could possibly conclude that everybody will be a winner. And so, the coach dismissed us.

            I went to the center court as I grabbed the ball. There was nothing that I wanted to do but to make an impressive dunk to show everybody that I was supposed to be in the roster. I threw the ball at the backboard and ran fast then jumped high taking the ball in the air and smashed the hoop with my full energy on it.

            Then all of them,……….ZzZZZZzZZsh…….. As I did it, I told the coach, “The bright side of the competition is that, when we lose we lose, but if we want to win we’ll make it all over again.” “Coach, you give us chance and we’ll prove it to you, that everyone can be a winner.” Then, the coach obliviously left the court.

            But what I wanted was that the coach will give everybody a chance to be part of making the team great.

            Then everybody left except Jazz. Then she asked me, “Can we play basketball now?” “Hey, can you please convince coach to include us all in the roster? Because everyone desired to be part of the team and I think he can consider us all.” I seriously responded. She smiled at me said, “Yes, if you are goin’ to play with me.”

            I gave her the ball and stood closely in front of her. I was looking at her eyes and she was not moving. I was serious then for I had much passion for my teammates. I was feeling that, I should help them not to feel guilty of the failure that may possibly come to them as what I have experienced. She ran fast passing through me and made a point with a simple lay-up shot. When I grabbed the ball for it was my turn, she stood in front of me with a closer distance and was looking at my eyes too. I was not able to make a penetrating move because she was a girl and must not be touched. Then I simply jump on my place and made a long shot and it was good for two points.

            At her next turn, along the three-point area, she was preparing for another penetrating move. I knew what she was going to do and where she was going to pass through. When she ran and dribbled the ball, I was prepared to block her on the left side. She moved fast and so I did. But in a second, she slipped and there she bumped me and we fell together as she grabbed me while falling down. And we found ourselves hugging each other with her on top of me. Then I saw her eyes flashing and cheeks turning into roses as I held her head with my two hands side by side and with her lips nearly touching mine.

            But it stopped there, and we stood immediately. “Oh my God!” I sighed. She slowly walked away, “Jazz!” I gracefully yelled. She looked at me and ran then kissed me on my left cheek and said, “I kissed you on your left cheek and it means…….there’s something I feel for you.” I was not able to say what I needed to tell her. But for me, that was just crazy to happen in that way.