Chapter 5

Once again, I had an easy walk home. Fewer people were on the move, and those that were swerved away from me.

There's a meal waiting for you. There's no need to shop. Adam is amending your file.

- Does that mean more have joined the three of you?

Yes. Two more have arrived. I should introduce them to you, but it would be better if we wait until you begin to relearn to see us all.

- Relearn? I was once able to see you?

Like your memories, your powers have been hidden or interfered with. We need to retrain you or bring them out again. You are learning to communicate with me; it should not take too long to establish lines of communication with the rest.

I longed to speak out loud to him – and the rest – and was eager to return to the solitude of my apartment to do so. A gentle hand touched my shoulder after that thought.

We have been working to secure your apartment. Only talk when you have your radio on until we say otherwise. Keep your blinds down and lights dim.

I nodded. Sometimes I used the radio to shut out noises from the other apartments, and to use the music to relax my anxiety.

- It will not appear odd if I use it. I often keep my blinds down, shutting out the world, but I like my lights bright to scare away fears and shadows.

Dim lights create fewer shadows on the blinds. It might also allow your senses to open wider, allowing you to see us.

A slight shiver ran through me at that thought. Not fear, but excitement. To see the person whose voice was in my head, who claimed I was a friend. I wondered what he might look like – tall, short, fat, thin, dark, light, ugly, handsome? I heard a chuckle and again felt his hand take mine.

Frogs can become princes, sholry, and vice versa. How do you imagine me?

I thought as I turned into my street. The pavement was clear of people.

"Some things I already know. You are tall, muscular, not fat, with soft lips, and gentle firm hands. However you look, I don't think I'll be disappointed."

His hand left mine and I thought I'd offended him until I felt his arm slide around my waist, tugging me against his side.

Eloisa...sholry...you know me.

I felt him kiss my cheek as I stopped at my door, turning the key in the lock. The door opened immediately as if someone opened it for me. I entered without hesitation, already savouring the smell of a hot meal wafting from the kitchen. The door closed behind me and gentle hands eased me from my coat. It floated onto the coat hook by the door and the radio turned on as if by magic. The blinds came down and the lights blinked on, soft and dim.

- Nice.

Sit and relax. The meal will come to you.

I sat on my sofa as requested and watched with amusement as a plate floated towards me. It was a casserole, hot and nourishing and smelt delicious. A fork appeared and I grasped it as the plate was placed in my lap.

"Thank you! This looks tasty."

It is an honour to serve you, Sholry.

I looked up, startled. That was not Grant's voice I heard.

"You're new."

You heard me?

"Yes." I grinned, amused by the horror I heard in his voice, but pleased I could hear another "friend".