Chapter 12

"So, what's up with you and your dad?"

I'd been staring out the car window the entire time—avoiding any form of eye contact while simultaneously enjoying the view.

"What?" I asked, confused.

He smiled at that, and I felt my nerves calm. "Well, I don't know you told me to be less 'existential'. I'm trying."

I had to laugh at that. "I don't think you're doing a good job."

"I love your laugh," he said, turning to stare at my lips.

The car felt like it'd just gotten 100 degrees hotter. I cleared my throat.

"I'm sure Lu would love to hear you say that," I said. For both my benefit and his. I needed to remind myself he had a girlfriend, and he needed to remember that he couldn't say those kinds of things when he belonged to another girl. It did what it was supposed to I guess, because for ten minutes neither of us spoke.

"So," I said, trying to wade through the awkward silence. "Where are we going, exactly?"

"You'll see."

"I'll see?"

"You'll see."

"What am I supposed to do with that? I mean we've been driving for a while. And somewhere between the last two stoplights it occurred to me that this could all be some big, elaborate scheme to get me out into the wilderness and kill me."

He burst out laughing. "What?"

"I mean, I watch Dateline. I know how this goes."

He was hysterical now. "Wow, well first off, no I'm not taking you out into the wilderness to kill you. If anything, I'd hire someone for that. The sight of blood makes me sick. And, you clearly haven't been watching enough because you came out here with me anyway, didn't you?"

I smiled. "Okay, point taken."

He shook his head and pointed. "Look, we're here anyway."