Chapter 25: Stress

When we came back from New York, things got a little stressful

When we came back from New York, things got a little stressful. Actually, little is an understatement of the year. It got a lot more stressful. Now, that they know I am getting married, we have to start planning the coronation, and they want to plan the wedding. I don't understand why. We aren't even engaged yet. We also need to finish decorating the nursery. Yeah, stressful. On top of that, my father wants me by his side more often, and that is just adding to the 8 billion other things that I have to do. I have been having to juggle this for almost two months. Rowan has been helping me through it, but that is because he has to be with my father when I am with him. He now got roped into learning this stuff as well. James tried to keep that from happening, but it didn't stop my father from doing in. In his words, 'No son of mine will not know how to run a kingdom.' At least he considers Rowan a son. That's a plus, right? I finally have a day off or so I think...

"How's your day off?" Rowan asks walking out of our closet.

"If you can even call it that?" I reply frustrated.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Apparently, the decorators messed up with the coloring in the nursery, and my mother is freaking out about that. And Parliament called a mandatory meeting that Dad wants us to be at in like an hour."

"Seriously! You are like a week and a half away from your due date."

"You don't think I know this! It is hard enough because I am on edge all the time. I have been having Braxton Hicks for the past couple of days. This is the last thing I need."

"How about we go take care of the nursery, and then we head to the stupid meeting."

"Okay."

"Now, go get dressed." I walk off and do as I am told. This is seriously pissing me off. You would think that life would be easier as I approach my due date, but no, it's even more complicated I am just being thrown at every single thing. We walk down the hall and into the nursery. We look around at it and we don't understand why my mother is freaking out. It is a beautiful pink and grey color scheme. There are butterflies hanging above her crib, and a chandelier hanging from the center of the room. There is also a white armchair with a pink throw blanket on it. Just perfect for our baby girl.

"Mia, perfect timing. Tell them that the colors are all wrong," Mom says yanking me closer to her.

"Mom, I don't know what you are talking about. It is fine, actually, it is perfect." I try to sound as friendly as possible, but I'm on my last nerve right now. Today I was supposed to relax, tomorrow I am supposed to relax. You want to know why? My maternity leave officially started today. Yet, here I am.

"What about you Rowan, don't you feel like something is off?"

"Actually, I don't. It looks exactly the way we wanted it. I don't know why you are freaking out," Rowan calmly says.

"Mom, it is fine. Now, we have to go meet Dad for a meeting," I say pulling Rowan towards the door.

"Okay, fine. Go, you know your father doesn't like to be kept waiting." We walk out of the nursery and we head to the meeting. Why do I have a gut feeling that I am going to end up arguing with him about something? We walk into his office and I see Dad waiting there for us.

"You're late," he says walking in front of his desk.

"Blame Mom for that one," I say sitting down on the couch at the side of the room. I am so done carrying this child and doing anything in general.

"What did she do now?" Dad asks rubbing his face.

"Freaking out over the nursery for no reason," Rowan explains.

"Did she get over it?"

"Yeah, now why did the Parliament call a meeting for?" I ask completely changing the topic.

"They didn't. I need to talk to you two."

"You couldn't talk to us on any other day? Today was supposed to be the start of my maternity leave!" I start to clench my belly a little bit. She is starting to get a little feisty in there.

"Why would you also lie and say we have a meeting to attend!" Rowan almost yells at Dad.

"Would you have come otherwise?" Dad asks.

"Probably not, because I am supposed to be resting right now. But between you and Mom, I don't get to. It is hard enough having to balance my life with my duties, but on top of that, I have to worry about the baby. My doctor even asked, are you stressed lately? You know what I did, I laughed, because I am so stressed that my doctor is worried about me. You know what, I am done right now."

"Mia," Rowan says trying to stop me from walking out the door. I get the door, but then I feel something trickle down my leg. Uh, oh.

"Rowan, I think my water just broke..."