Five

When I slip in trough the door of our classroom, Ms. Rachel was already in, speaking up on the middle of the crowd. She noticed me of course, her strict eyes magnified by her laced eyeglasses. Her blonde curls, though short, will follow her swift moves. Her large stomach ballooned her dress, and marked her kind. Sixty-one, strict, and a hard-to-beat-though-with-explanations, she was not loved.

     I sat on my chair and folded my hands on the desk, showing a small respect to Ms. Rachel. Some of my classmates took a short glimpse of me and some of them rolled their eyes. Really? Their attitude returned back to madness. After what I've done to them, after helping them, they would just roll their eyes and forget my deeds. What Simon said was right. They are all leeches.

     I just lowered my face and looked at my desk. Staring at the mahogany wood furniture.

     "Won't you even greet your teacher Mr. Scott?" Ms. Rachel's voice topped the noise of my classmates. "Or would you like me to greet you?"

     My cheeks were burning. The taste of faint throw-up mixed with my saliva turned sticky. My tongue so dry and hot. My teeth chattering as my lips, I think turned pale. This is shame.

     I fixed myself and used a force to straighten my legs and let myself stand. I wiped my sweaty palms on the side of my waist. I swallowed my saliva and straightened my voice.

     "Good morning Ms. Halverson" My lips still dry. Some of my classmates laughed and some whispered to each others and devilishly beaming. "I'm sorry...I uhm... I am from the comfort room, my stomach is not feeling well"

     "Eeeuhh" everybody else was reacting.

     "I guessed he pooped" Greg's voice was recognizable. Then my sight turned black and my head was burning hot. I grit my teeth and sharply stared at Greg.

     "NO!" I shouted from the depth of my throat as I punched my desk and the thin furniture broke. Then there was long seconds of silence as my angry shout and the sound of the cracked wood echoed through the walls of our class room.

     I stared at Greg. My eyes are extremely hot and melting. My throat slowly returning back to normal after the muscles were stressed from my shout. I got my fist closed and shaking violently. If there is just something sharp on my hand then I would love to cut out his eyes. I would really love to kill him. Damn it! I'm craving to grab his eyes from its home and stab him everywhere. I want to feed my criminal hunger.

     Greg's face paled. His former strong posture turned loose. He swallowed his saliva and his his shaking fingers. The fear on his body can't be hidden. His whole body is trembling.

     I turned my sight around. I found myself standing alone on the room while my classmates sit on their desk. Their eyes staring in disbelief. They never expected me to become a monster. I am not.

     I continued watching them as I catch a gaze of Ms. Rachel, and her reaction was of fear and anger too. I badly wanted to sit down and forget everything. Nonetheless, my aggression slowly faded and my mind cooled up. Oh my God. What have I just done?

     I over reacted. It wasn't right. This is not the way I should have relied on the case. Mom never taught me this. I am not a monster.

     My guilt is now slowly eating me. The hairs behind my neck raised and my cheeks were flaring hot in shame. I am not a monster.

     Just as then, I looked at the corner of the room. At first I though it was some stuff of the room, some designs or compliments. But it was something. Very disturbing. My hairs rose.

     There was a silhouette of a naked man standing. His skin was red and burnt. Some part was still filled with smokes. His body was like everybody else's except for the color. But his face formed grotesque. It was badly deformed. His lips were thick and sticky. His teeth was broken and dirty. The point were his nose should have been placed was replaced by a hole. The hole released some smoke. And his eyes were sharp. Ready to kill.

     A devil! And then its lips curved upward. He smiled to me.

     Can anybody see him aside from me? I moved my head and blinked my eyes, thinking it was just a visual trick. I looked at my teacher. She was still there. But Damn it! Shit! Her face was like the demon's smile. Then she was laughing. She is laughing hysterically. The hole on her nose released smokes.

     I closed my eyes and bow my head. My hands engulfing each other. God help me. I stare in the darkness of my closed eyes. Please go away! Please don't hurt me! God help me!

     "Is everything alright?" Ms. Halverson's voice called my attention.

"I'm asking you Mr. Scott, are you alright?"

     Is the demon still here? What will I see on my teacher's face.

     I raise my face up from my bow and slowly opened my eyes. The light was dazzling. My classmates stare in disbelief. I relaxed my palms and looked at Ms. Rachel's face. It was the normal strict face, eyes behind her laced eyeglasses. Thank God.

     "I'm sorry" my voice was trembling. "I am fine Ms. Halverson. I said earlier that I was from the comfort room because I throw up, not because I pooped. And I am not really feeling well"

     Greg's face still blank. Ashamed.

     "Next time, explain yourself clear" her voice was strict. "And no shouting!"

She even herself shouted her last words.

     "Uhmm... I uhmm..." said with nothing more to think.

     "Do you understand?" she asked loudly.

     "Again I'm sorry ma'am" I told her as I nod and agreed with her.

     "And so with your attitude Mr. Morgan" Ms. Rachel stare at Greg and was satisfied with Greg's nod as an answer.

    She fixed her curly hair and moved her eyeglasses as if it is not in right angle. She breathe in deep and exhaled.

     "Okay, as I was saying earlier" everybody now was listening as I sat down on my chair. "I am assigned to your year level as the manager for the ticket on the tour"

     She grabbed some pack of tickets on her desk. The papers were bonded by rubber bands.

     "This tour will be on July 7. So it means, you have still four days to go before this" she said. She wavered the ticket in the air. "Tell your parents about this and if they agree, buy a ticket from me, it costs Ten bucks. The deadline will be on 6, and the ticket is running out. Gotta get quick"

     After half an hour of her continuation on her lessons, she excused herself and dismissed us for break.

     And it was awkward. As my classmates strode to their ways, preventing me. Preventing a monster.