Redemption

Someone is whispering by Apollo's ear and he opens his eyes groggily. A brown curtain is waving in front of his face. Wait, it's hair. Apollo pulls back and the head turns to reveal Lilly's soft features and big hazel eyes.

       "The ghost is right there?" Lilly is pointing straight at Apollo's face and is speaking to Timmy who is peering from behind her legs, holding a stuffed teddy bear.

       Timmy's eyes light up. "He woke up and he's looking at you." Lilly squeals and jumps back, crouching behind the table.

       Timmy hugs the bear and asks, "Can ghosts sleep?

       Apollo really doesn't have an answer for that. He shifts in his seat uncomfortably.

       Timmy takes a small step forward and asks, "Do ghosts have names?"

       Apollo glances at Lilly, who is crouching behind a chair holding a candle holder defensively. "Yeah. My name is Apollo."

       "Like the Greek person?"

       Lilly is looking in the direction of Apollo with fear and as she hears Apollo speak she tenses.

       Apollo finally says, "Sure."

       Lilly rises from behind the chair, candle holder gripped over her shoulder. She says, eyes skimming the chair uncertainly, "Why were you watching us last night? What are your intentions?"

       Apollo doesn't know what to say to make her not mad at him. "I...I didn't mean to watch you. I just came into the room and saw you. I don't want to hurt you."

       Lilly approaches slowly, then suddenly shakes her head and squeezes her eyes shut. She opens them and asks. "Why are you here?"

       "I..." It's really strange to try to explain why Apollo is a ghost, "was hospitalized and am either-" Apollo clenches his jaw, "dead or almost dying."

       "Then why are you in this castle, American?"

       Apollo pulls back in offense. He likes being American. "I was taken here by some wind or something. I didn't want to be here."

       They are both silent, with Timmy observing,wide eyed.

       Lilly finally snaps, "Fine, ghost, we don't want you here either."

       Apollo grinds his teeth. "I can't go anywhere else. I'm stuck here. Believe me when I say I'd rather be anywhere but here."

       Lilly's impassioned eyes flicker through Apollo, over the back of the chair. She straightens and raises her chin. "Fine. As long as you stay out of our way and don't do anything to us."

       "Believe me. I will."

       Apollo thinks of an idea. "But then you'll miss out on the treasure still hidden beneath the castle."

       Lilly hesitates and the candle holder lowers a little.

       "Bindley Cooring Armingham told me how he died. He –"

       "Bindley Cooring Armingha? He is also a ghost?"

       "Yeah. He's still here."

        Lilly visibly shivers. "No wonder I feel as if I'm always being watched."

       Apollo can't help but think about how Bindley Cooring Armingham is probably somehow watching right now. "Yeah. He told me that he had been poisoned by his son. And he told me to – um – say Bonjeur and adieu? And he told me to tell his family that... William? I think? Shouldn't get any inheritance because he killed the creep, Bindley."