Chapter 11

Ava

"Yeah I remember." Was all I ended up responding. I didn't bother bringing up the fact that that was the night our relationship began to dissolve away.

"It was fun." He nodded, remembering that night.

"Not really." I admitted and he turned to me.

"What?" He looked surprised.

"I mean, one second we were having a great time, and then the next, we basically were strangers." I couldn't believe I had just said that.

"Why didn't you ever try and date me?" I suddenly asked and he was silent. "I mean I know you know we were perfect together. I admired you, and I know you adored me too." I told him. I wouldn't have said that if I really didn't know, but one time our senior year of high school, he got really drunk and told me that he adored me. I'll never forget it.

"V, it's more complicated than that..." He started but I cut him off.

"Why?" I shook my head. "How was it more complicated?" I stared at him.

"Because we were best friends, what if we broke up or something? Not only would I lose the girl who I swore was the love of my life, but I would have lost my best friend. I can't lose you V. I won't." He shook his head.

"But you stopped talking to me anyways, after the accident... after everything that happened, I needed my best friend more than anything, and you were away with Becca. I haven't spoken to you in years because of you. NOT because of me." I told him. He opened his mouth but I shook my head.

"I'm in love with Chris. God," I turned and watched Chris as he danced awkwardly with his ex. "I'm so in love with him, you have no idea." I shook my head and turned back to Harrison. "And he actually loves me enough to risk our friendship for something so much better." I told him and Harrison opened his mouth again but I shook my head. "This conversation is over." I told him as the song ended. Becca and Chris came back to the table and I watched Chris. He smiled at me and I leaned in and kissed his cheek. Not to show off in front of Harrison, but because in that moment I really realised how much Chris cared about me. He'd risk anything and everything to be with me. And I can't believe it took me this long to realise it.