Chapter 4

Ava

It was almost 6 pm when Chris knocked on my door. I paused my tv and watched as he sat on the edge of my bed.

"Yes?" I stared at him.

"Are you hungry?" He asked. I shook my head.

"No."

"I know you are. You haven't left this bedroom all day, and you're always hungry."

"Fine, what do you want?" I stared at him. I still couldn't believe he talked to me about Harrison like that.

"I'm getting chinese, do you want anything?" He asked and I shrugged.

"Orange chicken with fried rice and veggie egg rolls?" He asked and I rolled my eyes.

"I guess." I shrugged and he smiled.

"Be back in ten." He promised and left.

We ate at the kitchen table silently. I snuck glances at him every now and then, and I could feel him doing the same.

"Sorry about earlier. You told me to leave it alone, and I should have. I can't be mad for poking the bear." I finally said and he didn't look up from his food.

"Chris, come on, I'm sorry. Can you stop being all awkward and quiet?" I stared at him.

"You told me you thought you might be falling in love with me." He suddenly blurted.

"What?" I whispered.

"That's what happened last night. You told me that, and I haven't stopped thinking about it since." He said and I was silent. How do I respond to that.

"I was just drunk..." I finally muttered out. He shook his head and got up from the table. I watched him.

"What is the problem?" I pushed my chair back and followed him to the living room.

"Nothing." He responded calmly.

"Chris!" I yelled at him. "Please," I let out a long breath. "Just, what?" I watched him.

"You can't tell people that if you don't mean it." He finally said and I watched him.

"Oh, because you care so much if I'm in love with you or not?" I joked and he cut me off.

"Yes!" He yelled. "Yes Ava, I do actually. You'd be surprised how many people actually care about you when you look outside of Harrison." He told me.

"Don't talk about Harrison." I warned him.

"Don't worry, you do that enough for the both of us." He said, his voice dripping with attitude.

"You don't get it, you will never know what it's like to be in my position." I told him.

"And what position is that? You're in love with someone who is in love with someone else?" He stared at me. I didn't speak. "How do you think I feel?! Every fucking day you talk about him and all I can do is nod and agree that he's a dick or whatever fucking feeling you have him towards that day." His eyes never left mine.

"You're in love with me?" I blinked.

"No," He rolled his eyes. "No, it's just annoying." He said and I stared at him.

"Christopher."

"Ava." His face softened.

"Are you in love with me?" I asked him again.

"You weren't supposed to find out this way." He finally caved and sat on the coffee table. I didn't move. I never thought he thought of me that way.

"What about Becca?" I asked, which probably wasn't the right response, but I didn't know what else to say.

"Fuck Becca." He looked at the carpet. "I'm glad that bitch left me." He added. I took in a deep breath and sat next to him.

"I didn't know you... uh, I didn't know you felt..." I started.

"You don't have to say anything." He shook his head and stood up. "I get it, you weren't expecting to hear that. And don't worry, it's not love. It's just loneliness." He told me and left the apartment, leaving me utterly and completely alone.