Chapter 1

"Hey Maya it's Gen, I noticed that you haven't called me yet and it's 10:30. I understand if I'm interrupting something but I am starting to get worried about you so please call me soon. Love you Maya. Bye"

Three months later....

December 2nd, 2119

Scrolling through Instagram I like another meaningless picture of a dog in the snow. Keeping scrolling I crossed my right leg over my left and pulled my purse closer to my side. I could feel eyes on me and it made me uncomfortable. Most likely a man wondering where mine was. Growing tired I shut my phone off and looked up at the room around me. It was a waiting room that had only one word to describe it. Beige. The chair I sat in was a light wood, the walls beige, the floor a brown wood. I feel like I'm stuck in a cardboard box. The secretary's desk at the front of the room was the only somewhat source of color. A white desk. The secretary sat behind the desk with her brown hair up in a tight ponytail. She has a navy blue button up shirt on and gray slacks. A hallway leads to the offices of the different therapists.

Looking away from the secretary I glance at the waiting room. There was a father and son sitting in chairs a few feet away from me. The son had his face stuck in a phone and the father had his eyes on me. I looked away first. He is a man. I am a woman. A woman that has a father involved with the Men's Ceiling. Hearing a door open down the hall I watched one of my best friends walk down it with her therapist behind her. I stood up quickly and held our coats and my purse in my arms.

"Really Maya, I think we should continue meeting for a few more weeks." Maya's therapist was a short older lady with glasses and white hair. Maya didn't say anything but pulled her slate gray coat out of my arms and put it on.

"Mrs

"Mrs. Reed I really appreciate these meetings but it has been three months. I was required to come to these for three months. My time is up. Thank you for everything you have done for me." Maya smiled at her then at me "ready?" she asks me. I nod and follow my best friend out of the therapist's office and pulled over my faux cheetah fur coat. Our breath came out as clouds as we walked to the parking lot down the street.

Three months ago my friend Maya was involved with a sexual assault

Three months ago my friend Maya was involved with a sexual assault. Maya and I have had an extremely close relationship since the second grade. In sixth grade we met our other friend Brielle who just moved from Connecticut to New York. Ever since then we have been inseparable. Now it is December 2nd and I can no longer see my best friend's spirit. Maya's attack happened on August 31st. She went to her usual club with the intentions of having a usual Saturday night. Instead Maya met a man, proceeded to get drunk with this man and leave this club with him. With the idea of taking a cab home the sick bastard let her unlock her car before making his move. I finally got a call the next day around three in the afternoon from Maya's mom. They were at the hospital. That sick individual beat Maya unconscious then drove her and her car a few miles away to an empty parking lot. That when he ra-

"Genesis!" Maya yelled over my car. Looking at Maya I realize that she is waiting for me to unlock the car so we can escape this cold.

Neither of us got out of the car "thank you for coming to all of those meetings. I don't think I could have done it without you Gen."

Reaching over to her I gave her an awkward but needed hug "I'd do anything for you Maya. You're my best friend." Smiling we both leave the car and go inside.

Walking inside I begin to take off my shoes but Maya stops me "don't be silly Gen

Walking inside I begin to take off my shoes but Maya stops me "don't be silly Gen. Caleb isn't home right now" sighing I stand back up straight and follow her into the kitchen. Caleb is Maya's brother and he is a huge supporter of the Council. He always seems to make want to run away with my tail between my legs and hide.

"Hi Mama" I watch as Maya's mom, Christina, hugs her then walks over to me.

"Oh Genesis! So surprised to see you. How have you been? How is your mother?" I smile.

"I am good. Just here to drop of Maya. My mom is great. I think she is just stressed because of my father being stressed. Men's ceiling type of things." Christina listened carefully and stirred a pot that sat on the stove.

"Speaking of the council, Mimi you have your court hearing on Thursday." The air in the room got tense and I looked at Maya. I could see the tears that have started to form. "And I unfortunately work on that day. My boss won't give me vacation."

I could see the hurt on Maya's face. First she gets assaulted and now her mom can't even be there to support her...

"I'll go with!" my mouth blurts out the words before I have a chance to think. Their attention floats to me "I mean, I will go with you Maya. That way you won't be alone." Before either one could say anything the sound of the front door opening and closing stops them.

"Mom! Maya! I'm home" Caleb's footsteps echo as he makes his way into the kitchen. Caleb meets eyes with me and his sister as he walks over to Christina and hugs her. I let my gaze fall to the floor and I realize my fatal mistake. I still have my shoes on. Oh god I'm going to die!

Looking back up I see Caleb looking at me and Maya's mistake like a dead cat "Maya, Genesis, you girls know the rules about shoes in the house." heat rose on my face and I knew that I was red faced.

"I was just leaving Caleb. I'm sorry about the shoes. It won't happen again." I quickly got my words out without stuttering and made my way out of the kitchen and away from Caleb.

"Way to go dickhead! I don't see you taking your shoes off!" I hear Maya yell and follow me. Getting to the door I open it and take a step out. Looking back I see Maya holding the door open.

"Look I'm sorry about him. He is getting to become a huge pain in my ass. Anyway thank you again for taking me to therapy and I will send you the time my hearing is." and just as quickly as I entered the house I see the front door close.