~Chapter 17: Seventeen Years Ago

Third Person POV
The annual mating festival is supposed to be the happiest time of everyone's lives. The time you meet your true love. For Karta, he thought he wouldn't live long enough to find his mate; but when he became a vampire he saw it as a hopeful chance. He would dress to impress and hopefully find his mate he thought as he fastened the cuffs on his suit sleeves. He breathed in and attended the festival; after a few days he began to lose hope and figured maybe next year. He went to leave the festival when an intoxicating scent invaded his being. Karta's heart sped up and the corner of his lips turned into a small smile as he turned and ran towards the scent. When he found the owner of it he couldn't help but smile. It didn't take long for Karta to approach the young man when was his mate; his platinum blonde hair was tied into a high pony tail. He couldn't see his eyes but he was sure they were beautiful. He grabbed the young man's hand and felt as shocks ran through his body. He smiled as he saw his mate shiver, proving he felt the same as he. Then when the man turned towards him, Karta gasped as saw his mate's eyes. They weren't unique to anyone else's standard, just amber brown. Only Karta saw the fiery red illuminating around his pupil. "I found you" Karta smiled and pulled his mate towards him, "tell me your name please" he asked as he caressed his cheek. "Vani Odona". Karta smiled as he inhaled his mate's smell, "Vani...short for something?"
"Vanilla" Vani said slowly, "don't ask".
Karta chuckled, "if it's your name it's perfect".
Vani smiled and held onto Karta's hand, "and your name?"
"Karta" he smiled. He felt pure happiness and love in that moment and he prayed that it wouldn't end. But life never ends up how we like.
"Let's go register, I can't wait to introduce you to my coven" Karta said excitedly. He went to pull his mate to the Registry but Vani stood as still as a statue, "C-Coven? You're a vampire?" He stuttered.
"Y-Yea, but you don't need to be scared" Karta reassured.
Karta moves towards him but Vani released his hand. Stealing the warmth from his palm.
"I-I'm Sorry....I C-Can't be with a vampire" he announced before taking off into a run.
Karta was hurt, but he wanted his mate and he would do anything to make him happy and to reassure him of that fact. He ran after his mate and caught up to him standing at a bus stop, wanting to avoid spooking him he approached slowly, but when he saw him approaching he moved away again.
"Please, just give it a chance?" Karta asked again.
"I can't" Vani shook his head, "I can't be with a vampire".
"But we're mates! We're made for each other; I'm sure if you gave it a chance we could be happy— " Karta started to say but Vani kept shaking his head, "I'm sorry" was the last thing he said before jumping in front of the oncoming bus. Before Karta could even react he was covered in his mate's blood. The happiness sucked out and replaced with a horrible pain. He felt hollow. He ran towards his mate, what left of his body still warm. All he could do was cry. He was overcome with such sadness, but not just sadness. He was filled with anger, he cursed the universe. The universe that gave him a mate and took him away, the universe that made a mate for him that hated his kind enough to want death instead of him. He cursed himself, for believing in something so childish.
Mates are just a childish dream.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi! Sorry for not updating sooner, let me know what you think!
~❤️Onyxicea