Chapter 1

"Okay well thats everything"

my mother says coming into our house with the last box of our stuff. I smile at her but it quickly turns to a frown as I see she is not smiling back at me.

I sigh. My father is in the hospital. He just found out he had 2nd stage cancer just over a month ago. My mom isnt taking it well. We started moving into a rather small apartment about one week ago so we have more money for the medical bills. We moved closer to my fathers hospital witch was three hours away from our old home. Our apartment is a big adjustment from our old house. Everything is smaller. I left many friends at home. My brother Jeremy went off to the military a few months ago so I only see him once in a great while and talk to him once a week if that. My mom told me not to mention dads condition to Jeremy because she dosent want to stress him more.

"Mom, Everything will be okay soon dad will be better and Jeremy will be back from the miliatary and it will be like it used to be".

My mother forced a smile from her lips. She wasn't happy it was obvious. She didn't believe me eather.

We sit on some boxes that will soon be opened and put away. We dont speak to each other for what seems like a really long time.

I break the silence.

"Mom im going to go into town and uhh look around for our first actual day here do you want to come"?

She dosent reply.

"mom"?

"Oh uh yes dear, sorry I was thinking"

My mother looks at me.

"Im going to go check out switzerlands shops do you care to join me"? I ask in a more polite way.

"Uh, no but thanks Rylie you go have fun ill just start to unpack our things". My mother says.

My mother forces a smile again. I stare at her a minute. The bags under her eyes make her look sick. My mother is seen to be a very beautiful women. She has Light brown hair that reaches her shoulders. Her skin is tanned and she has the greenest eyes. We look very similiar but she has the look to her that makes her beautiful then theres me. I am a dirty blond like my father. I am quite tall and i guess now days people call it curvy I have green eyes and am very pale.

I study my mother more closely, Right now my mother dosent seem her normal out going self. She is pale. Her eyes are always heavy and red and she is always just out of it. Its like since my father got sick the world dosent matter to her anymore.

I nod at her. I grab my truck keys and head outside my door.

It is cooler out this afternoon so I go back inside to get my jacket. My mother looks at me questionably.

"Its kind of chilly this afternoon so I came back to get my jacket".

My mothers lets out a sigh. She brings me over my Abercrombie fitch jacket and hugs me.

"Be home for dinner at 6:30". She says.

I hug her back and nod. I run back out to my truck. I look across the street at my neighbors house. The house is empty looking. It is very dark. I ignore the gloomy sight as I hesitantly get into my vehicle.

~

Driving along the road I see many houses like the one across my street. I stop at a nearby bakery called New Orchard bakery. I see the sign says open so I stop in.

4:00 am to 4:00pm

The smell of freshly made bread and baking cinnamon fills my nose. I walk up to the waiting counter. Noone is here. I pace back and fourth and stare at the colorful pictures on the wall. One picture is a picture of the full moon popping out between two mountains. I am very drawn to it. So drawn to it I didn't notice a young women around my age patiently waiting for me.