Big News

A/n

I am updating this purely for Harriet! (@harriet_123xx)

I know I haven't updated, but I've been writing a lot recently, and I think I know where I want this story to go now, so.... Yeah...

I know I'm really bad with consistency, so, I'm working on it. Feel free to judge me. ✌️

Finally, thank you for nearly 300 reads. It genuinely means so much, and I never expected to exceed 50... So, thank you. ❤️

Enjoy!

~Ellie x

----------------------------------

I take a seat on my bed, and freeze as James begins to talk.

"So, you know when I was off school a couple of weeks ago with the flu?" James asked, not meeting my eyes.

"Yeah." I say, shakily.

"Well, I didn't have the flu."

Oh shit. He has cancer. He definitely has cancer. Or maybe he's just sick? Pneumonia? No, he's not been that ill recently. TB? Polio? He had his jabs for those last year, but still? Meningitis?

"ALEX!" James shouts across the room. "Did you hear what I just said?"

"What... No. What?" I stutter before he sighs.

"I said I went for an audition."

"Oh. That's it?"

"Erm, yeah. Well, the thing is.." James looks down at his feet.

"What?"

"Well, I got called back."

"Cool."

"Yeah, they said they really liked my voice. I played the guitar aswell, of course."

"So where was it?"

"London."

"That far?"

"Yeah."

"Cool." I say, awkwardly. If that's it, why is James still looking at his shoes. What is he not telling me? Wait a minute...

"James...?" I say and he looks up sheepishly.

"What was the audition for, James?"

"Ermm, well. It's actually quite funny really."

"What?"

"It's just--"

"Oh, spit it out James."

"Britain's got talent." James goes bright red and I scream. Okay, maybe I shouldn't have screamed, but I cannot believe this! My best friend is going to be on bgt? That is our favourite all time show!

I jump up and wrap my arms around his neck as he laughs into my hair.

"Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God!" I squeal. "Why didn't you tell me? I could have gone with you!"

"To be honest, I never thought they'd like me." James explains. "And I never dreamed they'd call me back. I didn't want to tell everyone and then let them down."

"Oh, come on. Your just boasting now. You know your voice is amazing James!" I smile and James chuckles.

"Isn't the next one the live one?" I ask.

"Yeah--" James cuts off, deep in though.

"Your gonna be performing in front of millions of people! That's amazing! Who else knows?"

"Not many. My parents, obviously. My brother and my grandparents. And you." James smiles.

"Squeeee!" By this point, I am done talking, and I just sit staring at James.

"Soooo..." James cuts the silence, which had become pretty awkward, after about 5 minutes.

"So can I come with you to the actual auditions?"

"Al, I've already been to the actual audition. Only about half the people who audition get through that first one." James says, boasting.

"Yeah, but, the actual auditions. The... The live one?"

"I'm not going to do anything radical without my best friend, mentor, and all round coolest person I know, am I?"

After I blink stupidly a couple of times at James' strange answer, he throws his head back, laughing and says,

"Of course your coming with me, twat."

"Alright, alright, language, Smith!" I giggle, as I reach up and kiss James on the cheek. This is so awesome!