two

Wonwoo rushes out of the classroom in large strides once the school bell rings. Eyes looking straight forward, he refuses to look anyone in their own pair.

Jueun, on the other hand, finishes packing up her belongings and quickly looks around for the boy that intrigues her.

He's already gone. She furrows her brows, wondering how the heck he managed to leave in two seconds: the time she takes to pack up her stuff (which is practically just zipping her bag closed). She lets out a sigh. She's a bit worried about him, but she doesn't know him personally, so why should she? She walks out of the classroom, her frowning expression turning into a shocked one as she sees who was on the other side.

"Sol!" She exclaims in happiness as she runs to tackle the poor boy into a hug. He almost falls.

The boy, Hansol, doesn't seem too affected by how she acts. Instead of frowning or groaning, he gives her a small pat on the back and says, "It's only been four days, Ju. Miss me already?"

In which Jueun answers, "Yes, you bastard. You were supposed to go to my party. But your damn writing competition got in the way. And you didn't even win! What a disappointment!" She pulls away from the hug and folds her arms.

Hansol lets out an amused chuckle, not bothering to give a reply. Instead, he reveals his right hand, which was hidden behind his back the whole time. In his hold is an average-sized rectangular present, creatively wrapped in old newspapers and tied together with twine.

"Happy Birthday," he says with a smile as he inserts his left hand into his pants pocket.

"Another book, I see," Jueun takes the gift with a smirk, except it doesn't really look like one. Happiness is radiating off her, and it's turning more into a grin by the second.

On the other hand, Hansol perfects his own smirk. Pocketing his right hand as well, he says, "Not just any book. Open it."

"Now?"

"Yeah. Like you always do."

Jueun smiles even wider, then proceeds to inspect the present, searching for the sides where the ends of the tapes are found.

Carefully, she unties the twine and begins peeling off the tapes one by one. Unfortunately, they are proving difficult to get off.

"Jesus, Ju. You're doing it again. Just tear it open!" Hansol exclaims in annoyance as he watches her attempt to open the gift in the slowest, most careful manner ever.

"But it would be such a waste to destroy the wrapping paper."

"But you're so slow!" He groans, "Just—", with his hands, he shows an exaggerated tearing motion, "rip it open. Like this," he repeats the action.

"Ugh fine!" Jueun grumbles in defeat, tearing the beautifully wrapped gift.

Her jaw drops open upon seeing what is inside. Her wide eyes turn to look at Hansol's own pair. He has put back his own proud smirk on his face.

"No," she says in disbelief. She looks back at the book she is now holding in her hands, and then to Hansol.

"No? You don't want it?" Hansol says, knowing clear and well that it's the exact opposite. He starts to reach out and take the book when Jueun reflexively clutches it strongly to her chest.

"Hansol Vernon Chwe, how did you get this?" Jueun asks, still in shock as she puts the cover title in his view.

"I have my ways, Jueun Darcy Hong," Vernon replies with a glint of pride in his eyes.

Jueun finds it hard to believe, seeing as this special edition of 1Q84, a favorite book of hers by Haruki Murakami, is expensive and difficult to get one's hands on them. "You can't be serious."