The Shadow of War

The punch hadn't been intended to hurt, but it served it's purpose. I yelled and struck back. Street theater was what any thief or vagabond would learn at a young age. My brother, Torynnë shot me a look that clearly said, "You'll pay for that one later."

I hoped the look I sent back told him to keep acting. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw our twin brothers trying to steal from an old trader's stall. I fell to the ground, sending sand into the air. I hoped it would be enough cover for them.

Torynnë had pounced on top of me. The pain was so bad I was sure I would be sore for weeks, but the ringing in my ears faded quickly. I saw two small figures make their way across the square into one of the many alley systems.

I sprung up and dashed away from the market. The small crowd that had gathered for the scuffle parted to let Torynnë through. Adding a final jewel to our performance he called, "Lord have mercy on your miserable hide once I get my hands on you!"

As soon as we were far enough away we both collapsed in stitches.

"I hope Korí and Kezzí got something good this time," Torynnë laughed. His eyes softened when he saw me. "You're bleeding."

"It was worth it," I said, "I'm seventeen, Torynnë, you don't have to baby me."

"Still sixteen for a week," Torynnë reminded. "And I always have to baby you. It's part of my job as your personal guardian angel."

"If you're my guardian angel then you are a pretty lousy excuse for one," I laughed, checking my cheek for blood. My hand came away clean so I shrugged and stood up.

"Where are you going?" Torynnë wanted to know.

"I'm going to see the guys and tell them about the new rebel hunting branch. Who knows? I may pick a pocket or two on the way."

Torynnë laughed. "Terynn Dixx, sometimes I can't tell if you are cocky, or just plain crazy."

"We only have one life, a lousy one at that. Let's take whatever small joys we may have."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The far side of town could be a dangerous place. I looked around for an unsuspecting fool who could afford to lose a few coins.

On accident, I caught the eye of a strange looking merchant. His eyes were dark brown like my mother's, but they lacked the warmth. He stared back, as if calling me out for looking shady.

All I could see was his dark eyes staring into mine. They flashed a look of disapproval, then moved on.

He had known what I was up to. I shivered. The way he had stared at me gave me chills.

When you are attempting to steal something, regardless of whether it is edible or not, do not call attention to yourself. You must learn to become invisible. The fact that I had been singled out would not help.

Sure, many other young men would be out to do to the same thing, but the strange merchant had chosen me to expose. I ducked into a narrow back alleyway, trying to regain my composure.

Your siblings will starve if you don't get food, I thought.

It was enough to make me steel myself and head out into the marketplace again.

This time, I turned onto a different street. I picked a few pockets, enough to keep us satisfied for a few days, then went to the alley in between the tavern and the government building. A number of other young vagabonds hung out here, and I looked forward to telling the guys the news about the rebels.

Having your mother as one of the only educated people in our small desert city had you respected by the other aspiring thieves. In a way I could call myself their prince.

A voice called out as soon as I rounded the bend, "Terynn, we're glad you could make it tonight." There was a catch in Keyon's normally cheerful voice that made me falter.

"Akachi is gone. He went off to join the rebels." Adisa whispered. The rebels had been planning attacks on the capital. The four of us had agreed they were all horrible people. They WERE horrible people. The way Akachi just went to join them, without looking back, was almost unfathomable.

"I was about to tell you that a group is being formed to stop the rebels." I said. The others looked at me expectantly. I couldn't talk. My voice had forgotten how to work. I choked out, "Excuse me, I need to go."

Tears blinded me as I hurried away. Akachi was my best friend. He would never just leave. I didn't watch where I was going and ran into a man in black.

I muttered an apology and quickly turned homeward. After the sun had fully set, it became apparent the man had followed me. Should I turn around and address him, or walk on, hoping that I would get home unscathed?

I slipped into an alley and walked quicker. My mind chided me for putting myself in a situation like this.

Think Terynn, it pressed, What happened to the last person who was caught alone after dark? You should have stayed with the guys. Would it have been so terrible to let them see you cry?

I felt the man's presence. I knew he was still following me through the alleys. It was a miracle he wasn't lost.

A sudden, firm grip on my shoulder took my breath away.

"Thought you could lose me, eh, little boy," a nasty voice sneered. A spark of anger flared in my chest. I lashed out and ran for dear life.

The tunnel was my last hope. I darted through, still able to hear my attacker cursing. I was losing him! Through the tunnel, turn left, duck under railing, my mind recited what all good thieves memorize at a young age.

I was so close to reaching the square, but a figure blocked my path.

"You gave Desta quite a chase. You will very useful to our plans." The hooded figure said in a voice like ice.

That was the last thing I remembered before something hard made contact with my skull. Pain exploded through my forehead, I think I screamed. Everything went dark.