The Liar's Revenge

It was like the stories Torynnë told us when we were younger. A hero always had to make the tough choice of risking everything for a better life, but I was no hero. I was just a thief, trying to live life day-to-day.

"I can't," I said. "My family counts on me for food. If anything would happen to me they would lose their status. Then it would be up to Torynnë and Jabari to see to it that they don't starve."

"Torynnë and Jabari," Ekon repeated slowly. "These clearly are your brothers. You seem to be very close to them. How far would you go to ensure their safety?"

The answer came instantly, "I would do anything."

"Very well, young man. I'll leave you to your family, then." Ekon said, swinging open the door. I went to the door at once. "Down the hall, turn left."

I made a move to leave, but something stopped me. "Mr. Ekon, sir? How was it you knew who my mother is?"

He dismissed it with the wave of his hand. "I work for the government, we have files on everyone and everything."

"Even magic?"

Ekon looked startled for a second, then smiled, "There are some things you can only know about if you are working with us."

In my head I heard him add, which you aren't.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm only saying that you need to be a bit more careful, Terynn." Torynnë lectured the next day. "I don't doubt your ability to take care of yourself, but you know Mother worries when you are home late."

If only he knew. I didn't have to respond to him because just then Jabari appeared.

"Terynn! Torynnë! Look what I found!" He said. Jabari, though a few years younger than me, was as good a thief as I could ever hope to be. Naturally, we went to go see what the spoils were. Instead, I got a nasty shock that made my blood run cold.

There was a cold, familiar feeling about this alleyway. I knew this place. I had been here just last night.

"Look." Jabari said, pointing at the ground. On the ground was a pool of old blood. It was an old reminiscent of when Desta had clubbed me over the head with something sharp. I flinched.

"Who could have done that?" Torynnë asked. His gaze darted over to a small object resting on the ground near where Ekon had stood. "What's this?" Torynnë mused, running his fingers over it. He handed it to me.

"It's a medallion." I whispered. Just like the one Ekon had worn the night before. I hadn't noticed it at the time.

Suddenly, a loud noise caused us all to jump. I slipped the medallion into my pocket. Something bad was happening. I glanced at Torynnë.

The look on his face was all the confirmation I needed. It was the rebels, the same men who had killed our father. They were back for more.

"RUN!!!" I heard Jabari scream. And I did.

My breath caught in my throat. I turned again until I came the town square. People fled in different directions. Tents had been set ablaze and men with red armbands invaded the streets. I ducked as one man threw a torch at me. I dashed back into the maze of alleys. I could scarcely breathe.

If the rebels had gunpowder then they would surely win. The second wave of explosions hit. I came out onto another street. I thought I saw Torynnë in the middle of the rush, but couldn't be sure. How could I even know my brother was still alive?