In Angels Absence

Sebastian awaited for the fools to enter into the realm. He had endured the Seelie Queen long enough to gain her trust, and thus was proved as she warned him of the oncoming 'army' of nephilim.

They would come through un-conscious as one always does when entering the depths if hell. Lilith will feed off of their desires and twist them into a cruel nightmare. Sebastian grinned, in his mind he thought they'd deserves as much.

Within seconds the four nephilim and that retched daylighter appeared at his feet. He took the vial out of his weapons belt and undid the screw lid. he poured a drop into Clarys mouth. He grinned in delight as the marks from her skin faded away. the vial had worked all he had to do know was wait.

Alec awoke on the floor aware that Isabelle was beside him absently drawing her finger into the ashy ground. She flashed him a forced smile and cocked her head with a question in her eyes. He nodded. he was suddenly aware that her gaze had shifted to Simon who was staring at Clary, who was rubbing her eyes.

"Clarys marks have gone" announced Simon.

"Marks just don't go away daylighter, not like a scratch" said Alec although his voice wavered. Honestly he didn't know what this realm was capable of, or Sebastian.

"No he's right" said Jace who was kneeling next to Clary, "they've gone."

Clary twisted her arms around, looking for her marks which were obviously no longer there.

"How did that-" she started to cough vigorously. A look of panic crossed Jace's face.

"I fine" she said weakly between coughs.

"Really, because that cough that you didn't have before we got here would suggest otherwise." Jace said although the look of utter fright was relevant under his sarcasm.

"It's just a cough" she said tediously. She stood up and dusted her hands, "so what's the plan?"

Jace looked at her with suspicious yet careful eyes, then turned his gaze to the distance of the ashy realm.

Simon turned to look at Clary who was stating out to where Jace was pointing to. Her skin was beginning to turn translucent so you could see the detailed mapping out of her veins. Simons knew, from experience, that this was a sign that Clary was sick. Clary turned and caught Simon staring at her and gave him a forced smile, followed by another round if coughing.

"Draw an Iratze" said Izzy suggestedly. Clary took out her stele and drew the rune before it disappeared as soon as she took her stele off of her skin. she glanced up at Jace who was just staring at her arm.

"Try it again." he said clearly trying not to panic. She did it again this time on her upper arm, but again the rune disappeared as she drew it. Jace then caught her arm and used his stele to draw the rune but the same effect happened.

"Damn it," said Jace letting go of her arm, "it doesn't work." the look of worry was evident on all of their faces.

"It's fine I can walk without runes, I did it for 16 years remember."

"Clary that's not exactly the point," said Alec, obviously trying to figure out how to say the right words, "In the bible it states no human has ever made it back from hell, because they cant. The only reason that nephilim can is because of our runes. And Simom doesn't get sick or is effected by the demon realms."

Jace walked away and crouched by a rock and examined something from the floor.

"Right so if I don't have runes then I can't survive?" said Clary the realisation hitting her hard. Alec nodded. "But I don't get how his happened. How suddenly runes don't work on me anymore. It not like-"

"Sebastian did it" said Jace still facing away from them. Examining what was now obvious to be a glass vial. "Sebastian waited for us to come the through the portal and fed Clary this."

"And what is 'this'" said Clary her voice rising, her eyes pleading with Jace. he looked away unable to face her gaze. "Angel blood poison" he said fiddling with the vial.

"It eats away at the Angel blood dissolving it." said Izzy.

"But Clary has more Angel blood that a regular shadowhunter, right?" said Simon, his voice trimmed with panic.

"Yeah Clary is 60% percent angel blood, so when the poison eventually works she will be left with only 40% normal blood which no one can live off of" said Alec not meeting either Simon or Clarys gaze.

"Ok so, if Sebastian wants me to rule with him, alive, then he's got the antidote I assume?" said clary already knowing the answer she was going to get.

"Yep. He's hidden it somewhere only he knows so that we don't kill him on sight, he wants to bargain." said Jace looking out towards.

Clary felt dizzy, she wasn't sure wether it was from the news that she was probably going to die or from the fact that her blood was being dissolved. She stumbled. Jace turning to look at her with pure anger in his eyes, not towards her but towards Sebastian.

"We need to get to shelter then," said Jace breaking his gaze with Clary, "there's caves over there," he turned to look at Clary "do you think you can walk that far?" he said. she nodded and flashed him a fake smile befor she started coughing again, Isabelle holding her arm as she doubled over. she got up to everyone's worried stares.

"We might want to start walking now." she said as she started towards to caves. Jace fell into step with her and laced his fingers with hers. she gave them what was supposed to be a reassuring squeeze but ended up being shaky and loose. Jace squeezed back and they kept walking towards the caves.