chapter twenty-four

Narcissa came to their house five days later, immediately beginning to rush them about, a notepad following her every move. Charlotte and Draco sat down to watch her-- Narcissa had this whole thing in control. "We have the flowers ordered, the church booked, Draco's tux ready-- don't worry, Draco, Madame Pomphrey has your measurements in her book already. Now, Charlotte, have you gotten your wedding dress?"

Charlotte stuttered, having been addressed abruptly. "Er, I mean, no, but Luna is helping me with that today."

Narcissa pursed her lips. "Are you telling me you put your trust in a girl who barely even knows how to dress for bed to choose the most important outfit of your life?"

"Erm, well, yes."

Draco's mother stared at her future daughter-in-law for a moment before saying, "Don't you dare embarrass us, Potter, or I will have your head."

"Mother."

"Don't talk to me like that, love. It's true. Now, your vows?"

Draco and Charlotte exchanged a hopeful look before Draco took Charlotte's hand. "Well, Mother, we've decided that we want to do the Vow of the Veelas. We know it will take longer than the usual vows, but we have something that will work."

Narcissa raised an eyebrow. "And what is that, praytell?"

Charlotte stumbled over her words. "I, well-- it's something I've been thinking of, from a book I've been reading. I can connect the lines so that it is a poem."

Mrs. Malfoy laughed sarcastically. "What book? We Have Always Lived in the Castle? Let me tell you, dear. That book isn't the greatest way to make your promises."

"Erm, no, a diiferent--"

Narcissa began waving her off again. "I cannot know what your vows are, dear. Maybe I should teach you a little Vow-Making 101." She sat down on the couch, her notepad settling down on the table in front of her as she waved the couple over to sit in front of her. She magicked a book-- one that looked as though it contained records-- and a dot bag.

"Three rules you must remember. Number one: You must learn to say the vow verbatim, meaning you say it word for word the way you wrote it, dear. If you do not, the whole vow is broken, and not only do you get a permanent castle, but you also lose the bond you made before-- impartial or whole. You must remember this. The Veela Vow is unbelievably important, a big risk you must be both willing to take. However long or short you make it, you must remember it. Don't worry about making it dramatic or extravagant. It means nothing if you stutter.

"Number two: You must not tell me the vow, ever. Not even in my life depends on it. Don't tell anyone the vow. It will break the vow." Looking at their confused faces, she laughed and said, "Not before the wedding, loves. Don't tell anyone before the wedding. At any time, however, do not tell anyone how you created it, or what your inspiration was. Do you understand?" Narcissa waited for their nods before continuing. "The last and final rule is that you are not allowed to kiss before you say your vows. There is a consequence that I would rather not say, but please just follow that rule."

Charlotte and Draco stared at her, everything silent except for Draco's gulp. "Mother," he began, "you know I don't have a great memory."

"And Draco, you know that you are a wizard. Give yourself a great memory."

And that was that. They began getting antsy. Charlotte and Draco, throughout the day, got sudden urges to go dance again, but that impulse, no matter how much beyond their control that was, was not as important as the Veela Vow-- and then again, to have a run down with Kiki again was not something they wanted to deal with at this moment.