The Fate We Were Destined To Meet

Not often does a story end so abruptly, so tragically as this one does.

Two people's love falling apart, and heartbreak apparent with every breath they take.

Heartbreak is the worst pain, the worst loss. It can make you do horrible things, make you feel like everything you have ever lived for wasn't worth it.

And as he drags her away from the truck they'd spent their short-lived journey in, there is only one thing on his mind.

'I took a risk that was worth this heartbreak. Because before, there was nothing there to break and burn. There was no true feeling or real worth, but now she's taught me how to love.

I was numb, but now I feel alive.'

The stars hung like tiny lanterns in the sky, illuminating the midnight black.

I'd stayed silent for the rest of the journey, shrouded in confusion and anger. I only realised where we were going when we got there, and a pull of sadness dragged me further into tears.

It was the place he'd taken me when we'd first gone on our little adventure and he'd asked me to run away with him.

He didn't say anything when he opened the car door and got out, and despite being scared of what was going to happen next, I followed him.

There was and had always been something magnetising about the way he moved, the way his eyes followed me, the way he spoke. It was as if everything he did appealed to me in a way my body couldn't ignore.

I tried to balance myself on the unsteady ground, heart pounding in my chest. He walked through the willow trees that acted as an entrance to the little hideaway, and I trailed in his footsteps.

We were welcomed by the breath-taking view, which was ironic with everything that was happening. Because this was the opposite of beautiful.

He breathed. I blinked.

His skin was pale, body weak, as he wandered over to the brick wall we were familiar with.

"Don't worry," his eyes spoke a promise, "I've got you."

I flinched from the memory.

In the present moment, he turned to look back at me. Patting the spot beside him, I went and sat down, nerves dissipating. They were replaced by exhaustion, and a wanting for this all to be over.

The breeze blew ever so gently, tickling the leaves on the trees until they fell like dew drops to the ground.

Our feet dangled just above this said ground, legs swaying in the everlasting night. The wall we sat on was made up of bricks, an array of shapes and sizes and colours. But it was unsteady like a Lego tower, the tip of a finger could knock it to the ground.

If the wall fell, he would fall down with it, and if he went down then so did I. Because I knew that I was way too deep into this now. Nothing could erase the time we'd spent in each other's lives.

Treacherous simplicity hung heavy in the air and I gave a deep sigh, letting the smell of an eternal summer fill my nostrils. Warmth radiated from him, making me feel as if I was sitting beside a burning fire that sparked every so often.

His gruff voice rumbled the earth as he spoke, plump lips slightly parted, breathing on edge. I sighed as my heart sung and I let his words sink into me, slowly but then all at once.

"I think it's time I told you the truth."

And in that split second of a moment, I embraced everything. The journey we'd been on, the words we'd exchanged, the sound of our laughter chiming together and blessing my ears like birdsong.