Another shot

DPOV
Six years ago I walked out of the academy to guard Tasha so Rose could focus. Little did I know I'd be the unfocused one without her.

She'd gotten a spot on Elite the moment she'd graduated and was constantly on missions around the world. She was hardly in Court for more than two days at a time. She certainly was never at Court when Tasha visited Christian and Lissa.

It was rumoured she had a child. But whenever I was around nothing was said and if I asked I was shut down. This child was supposed to be special and favoured by the queen. It was likely Adrian's if favoured by Tatiana. That thought made my blood boil. I'd given her everything and suffered Tasha's feeble attempts to get with me and she'd moved on with someone like Adrian Ivashkov! I couldn't believe it. I knew he adored her but she'd shot him down time and again. She'd been spotted with him at Court in stereotypical romantic style moments, photos of them arm in arm spread like wildfire. There was no solid evidence of a relationship though. She was an enigma at the best of times and an unsolvable Rubiks Cube when she tried.

So here I was back where it all began and ended six years ago. The plane landed and Alberta met me at the Tarmac. With a sleeping little, around about, five year old attached.
"Guardian Petrov" I kept my voice reasonably quiet so as not to wake the child.
"Guardian Belikov. Take her would you." She handed the girl to me and the first thing I noticed was how much she looked like Rose. Her hair was just as long and wavy but a lighter brown.

We started silently walking to Alberta's office and I studied the bundle in my arms. She was basically a mini Rose. The only real difference was her height and hair color. I was yet to get a peek at her eye color. She was tall, toned and tanned for a five year old. I couldn't see how this little girl couldn't be Rose's. But... One thing bugged me (other than that she couldn't be mine): had Rose turned into her mother and abandoned her baby to the academy? She always resented her own mother for that and now had a name for herself and outshone her mother. She was hardly at Court for more than two days then off again. She was never with Liss at Christmas and Easter. So where was she? How involved in her daughter's life was she?

"You've clearly got questions Belikov." Alberta had shut her office door behind us and watched me study this little girl, question after question floating through my mind.
"She's Rose's isn't she? The rumoured child? The one Tatiana favours? The one I'm not allowed to know anything about?"
"She is Rose's, the rumour and the one Tatiana favours."
"Has Rose turned into Janine? Done everything she resented her mother for doing? Is she involved in this beautiful bundles life?"
"No. She hasn't turned into another Janine. They spend Easter and Christmas together on campus. The second she's in the country she has her in her arms. Postcards from Court and wherever else she's travelled. Phone calls whenever possible and presents. Each time she comes back it's with another little something. Most importantly she didn't make her a ward of the academy. She has learnt from Janine's errors. However, Janine made one big mistake when she found out about the pregnancy."
"What did she do?" I asked softly.
"She officially and completely disowned Rose. They haven't spoken since. It took everything Lissa, Christian, Adrian and I had to keep her here. She broke when you left, then panicked when she found out she was pregnant then completely lost it when her mom abandoned her. We still don't know how much was darkness induced and how much was pregnancy hormone exacerbated. She really did need you but was adamant she'd be fine on her own. She's thrown all she has into her little girl and her missions."
"So you know?" I cautiously asked.
"The Guardians knew before you left. Her meltdown when you left confirmed it. When she found out she was pregnant she spilled- all of it." I had a feeling she was hinting at something but couldn't figure out what. She was basically giving it away but I couldn't connect the dots.

"Alberta. What about my workload?"
"Ahh. Yes. Well, I wanted to know if you'd like to mentor again."
"I'd be happy to."
"Here's the thing. There's a certain kindergartener that needs a mentor- one you'd be ideal."
"Kindergartener?"
"Not just any kindergartener- the one in your arms. Rose has her conditioning whenever possible. If she's here she usually puts in an hour or two after school with her. I put in an hour before and after with her each day."
"She can focus for two hours at a time?"
"Try up to four. Rose has her trained. She's her mother amplified by her father in all areas. She's got sass and attitude but often keeps it in check. She's dedicated and passionate, loyal and loving. Just like her mother she hates using titles. If she addresses you by your title you're in her bad books. If she's talkative you're in the clear. Just don't let her go quite for too long- it's the calm before the storm, she'll be planning things out as well as how to use her moms logic to get herself out of trouble."
"Basically a mini Rose?"
"And then some. As I said she's her mother amplified by her father. By the way Rose's is due back any minute now."

"Alberta," she waltzed in and plonked down in the chair in the other side of the desk. "How's-" she took one look at me with her daughter "oh"ed and left.
"What was that about?"
"You'll see. I'll go get her." She left.

What was that about? Could Rose really hate me that much? She'd just walk out at the sight of me? I thought I saw her eyes glisten like she was holding back tears. Why? Apparently she'd had a meltdown when I'd left so did coming back send her back?

A few minutes later a barely composed Rose walked back in with a grinning Alberta. What were those two women hiding?

"Rose" I began cautiously.
"Comrade." Really? Six years, a meltdown and a child and she was still calling me that? God she was adorable.
"Comrade? Really Rose?" I couldn't help the smile that appeared on my face and in my voice.
"Yup!"
"Rose? Can I ask what just happened then?"
"I walked in and saw a sight I'd never thought I'd see." What on earth was she getting at?
"Explain..." I kept the superior tone out of my voice. It was a request not a command.
"Ask me. Ask me what her name is." The games began.
"Okay. What is her name? Her whole name."
"Anastasiya Louiz Hathaway Belikov." Belikov? She named her daughter a Belikov?
"Rose?"
"A-n-a-s-t-a-s-a-i-y-a L-o-u-i-z Hathaway Belikov." Russian spelling and names? Why? And again with the Belikov?
"Russian, Rose?"
"Yup. After her hot Russian battle god of a father." Again with the god comments. She was grinning like a Cheshire Cat and even Alberta was holding back laughter. "Come on, comrade! Seriously! Are you that blind? Do I have to wake her up so you can get it from her?" Was she seriously saying Anastasiya was mine?

"Rose..." I gave an exasperated sigh.
"Pass her here." I handed her over. "Stasiya? Darling. Mommy's back." She gently woke her daughter up. Ana groggily rubbed her eyelids, blinked then looked at her mom. "Mommy!" She bear hugged Rose.

"Hey baby g." She ruffled Ana's hair and kissed her forehead and each cheek. "Look over there Stasiya." She nodded her head in my direction. The girl gaped, grinned then squealed, "Daddy!" She looked to her mom, "Really Mommy? Daddy's here?"
"Really Stasiya. He just doesn't believe it!" She smirked.
"Hand me over Mommy!" She put a hand on her hip and self satisfied look on her face. She was going to get her way no matter what- just like Rose.
"As long as you drop that pose. I'd rather get puppy dog eyes miss moo." Ana switched to puppy dog eyes and her mother caved. Aww. I always knew she'd make a great mom. "Much better. Comrade come her and take your daughter off my hands for a minute."
"Since when was she my sole responsibility?" I took my daughter nonetheless. God that felt weird. My daughter. She'd been hidden for years and revealed to me in seconds.
"Since she'll be all yours when I'm on Elite missions."

"Daddy?" my daughter interrupted.
"Yes baby?"
"Are you staying?" I thought about it. Yeah, I'd be staying if Rose wanted me to. I turned to face her mom.
"Rose? Am I staying?"
"You'll be in hell if you leave again. So yeah- you're staying."
"Looks like I'm staying baby girl."
"Yay!" She kissed my cheek. "Lub you Daddy!"
"Love you too Stasiya." I kissed her cheek and she giggled.

"She's got your eyes Dimitri." Rose smiled.
"My hair color too apparently."
"And your height and strength."
"You'll have to show me how you train her Rose."
"Tomorrow." She turned to look at our daughter "Stasiya- you've got morning training with Mommy and Daddy tomorrow. First thing."
"You hate mornings Mommy."
"Your Daddy doesn't." Damn her! I had loved mornings- when it meant training with her. She was adorable when she grumbled after dragging herself out of bed.
"Just dob me in Mommy- you should realise it was only-"

Just then the door slammed open. In walked trouble. In the form of Tasha Ozera. This wasn't going to end well.