Chapter 4

Authors Note:

Thank you to @iamcrazyiknow for the awesome book cover!

Chapter 4 (Patrick POV)

It's really a shame that witches are such pushovers. Actually it's not a shame for me, just them. The good little witches who grow their gardens and use all natural magic are the easiest to get. Their love for nature and pacifistic ways are always their downfall. It makes them vulnerable to those who wish to use them, such as I did.

If I ever sensed that the witch was starting to get rebellious, I would teach them a lesson or put them down. Yes, I killed witches before I made the promise to Scarlett that I wouldn't. I would find the ones who were just getting the warning signs of their power. If they were too old with the warning signs to be very powerful or useful, I would kill them for sport.

"I want to introduce you to my friend," Michael told me. "She's a witch."

When he told me this, my hunger for magic hadn't begun yet. Once I met this girl is when it started. The way I used her was quite cruel in many people's opinion. I thought nothing of it then, but after actually loving a girl, Chloe, my views on that changed.

Michael brought me to a small house that was on the edge of town. I was bored and had no interest in meeting anyone at the moment. Michael had told me this girl was a witch, but for some reason it didn't really spark my interest.

It had been a few weeks after my first hunt with him. We'd been doing the same thing every night since. We'd turned out to be murder buddies, if you want to call it that. He knocked on the door and I sighed in boredom.

The door was answered by a young girl. She looked to be about a year younger than my physical age, making her eleven. She was cute with her green eyes and dirty blonde hair. I could sense the magic around her. I didn't really know how to measure the amount of magic then, but it was a lot. Probably almost as much as Pete had.

"This is Patrick. Patrick, this is Rachel," Michael introduced.

We both shyly said hello to each other and she invited us both inside. Nobody else was in the house except us.

"So, Michael," Rachel said as her eyes darted to me then back to him. "It's ready, do you want it now?"

"Yes, if you wouldn't mind," Michael answered. "It's okay to mention it around Patrick. I trust him, he's my friend."

She nodded in response and left the room. I gave him a confused look, not knowing what they were talking about.

"She doesn't work for me," he explained. "I asked for something that requires magic for my birthday a while ago and she's getting it now."

I mouthed the word 'oh' just as Rachel walked back into the room. She walked up to Michael and opened her hand, revealing a strange ring. It didn't look strange, but I could sense it had magical properties. The ring was a silver color with a deep blue stone on it. Michael took the ring in his hand and placed it on his right index finger.

"Are you sure it works?" he asked as he admired it on his hand.

"I'm positive," she replied.

Foolish me didn't have the knowledge yet to figure out on my own what the ring was. I just stood there, clearly not understanding what was going on. I've always hated being clueless, who doesn't?

"It took a while for me to figure out how to make that, so don't lose it. It takes a lot of my energy to do that spell," Rachel said.

He nods in comprehension. "It's a daylight ring," Michael explained to me. "When it's touching my skin I can walk in the sun."